Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Milindu Sanoj Kumarage <ag...@gmail.com> on 2016/03/14 13:48:56 UTC

Possibility for GSoC 2016

Hi,

I'm Milindu Sanoj Kumarage, an undergraduate of University of Colombo
School of Computing doing my 4th year of Computer Science major. I have
just started my 4th year and I am working on a research base on distributed
computing( on Pub/Sub ), therefor I'm working with tools and technologies
related to distributed computing. I came across "The Dataflow Model: A
Practical Approach to Balancing Correctness, Latency, and Cost in
Massive-Scale, Unbounded, Out-of-Order Data Processing" [1] and it got my
interest. That's how I came to Apache Beam project. I'm just querying for
the possibility to work on Apache Beam for GSoC 2016.

I did my last year GSoC for Apache Stratos building a CLI for Stratos using
Python and year before that it was Sahana Software Foundation building a
GIS module for Sahana Vesuvius. I have much experience working in many
cloud related tools such as Google Compute Engine, AWS, etc.

I'm really interested in working with Apache Beam project if possible,
Please help me with this.

[1] http://research.google.com/pubs/pub43864.html

Regards,
Milindu Sanoj Kumarage
LinkedIn <https://lk.linkedin.com/in/agentmilindu> | GitHub
<https://github.com/agentmilindu/> | agentmilindu.com

Re: Possibility for GSoC 2016

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Manu,

as Davor said, the Runner API will required some weeks to stabilize. So,
we may expect the API ready during summer.

The PCollection & PTransform should not change that much, but it will be
probably impacted by the Runner API. Anyway you can start with this part.

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Possibility for GSoC 2016

Posted by Manu Zhang <ow...@gmail.com>.
Hi JB,

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Milindu,

Thanks, I will do the review and keep you posted.

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré