Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Harvey Fishero <ha...@gmail.com> on 2019/08/05 18:43:50 UTC

unable to open a specific document

Sirs,

I have a 1.2 MB document I’ve filed in Documents as I’ve opened it to add to it and closed it.  The last time I opened it, February of this year, it wouldn’t open.  Somehow, I got it to open in Pages.  I did my work on the document and closed it.  At that time I checked to see that it was stored back into Documents.  I cannot open it now. When I click on it and then click on the “Open” box, the screen reverts to the opening screen for Apache Open Office (offers choices of Text Document, Spreadsheet, Presentation, Open, Drawing, Database, Formula, Templates).  Other documents filed in Documents are opening ok.

Help, please?

Harvey Fishero
harveyfishero@gmail.com

Re: unable to open a specific document

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
Hi Harvey,

Thanks for letting us know.

Regards,

Craig

> On Aug 9, 2019, at 2:14 PM, Harvey Fishero <ha...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Just to close the loop, the rtf suggestion worked like a champ!  Thank you!
>
> Harvey
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Aug 5, 2019, at 5:51 PM, Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> If there is not much formatting, you could try exporting it as rich text format (rtf).
>>
>> You might try to upgrade to the latest version of OpenOffice in case there is some known issue.
>>
>>> On Aug 5, 2019, at 2:41 PM, Harvey Fishero <ha...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes, sir, the document was found in Finder and I opened it and exported it to Word.
>>>
>>> I returned to Open Document and tried to open the Word copy of the document.  I get a notice that Open Office quit unexpectedly.
>>>
>>> Ideas?
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone

>> Craig L Russell
>> clr@apache.org

Craig L Russell
clr@apache.org

Re: unable to open a specific document

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

When you worked on the document in Pages, it was saved as a pages document.

To use it with OpenOffice, open it again with Pages and export it to Word format.

You should now be able to open the document with OpenOffice by right clicking the file and using "Open with... OpenOffice".

Regards,

Craig

> On Aug 5, 2019, at 11:43 AM, Harvey Fishero <ha...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Sirs,
>
> I have a 1.2 MB document I’ve filed in Documents as I’ve opened it to add to it and closed it.  The last time I opened it, February of this year, it wouldn’t open.  Somehow, I got it to open in Pages.  I did my work on the document and closed it.  At that time I checked to see that it was stored back into Documents.  I cannot open it now. When I click on it and then click on the “Open” box, the screen reverts to the opening screen for Apache Open Office (offers choices of Text Document, Spreadsheet, Presentation, Open, Drawing, Database, Formula, Templates).  Other documents filed in Documents are opening ok.
>
> Help, please?
>
> Harvey Fishero
> harveyfishero@gmail.com

Craig L Russell