Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org> on 2004/06/25 15:15:38 UTC

Re: OpenOffice frontend for CMS

Jon Evans wrote:

> Hi Sylvain,
>
> On 25 Jun 2004, at 11:42, Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
>> Now we have that nice thing called OpenOffice that is a wordprocessor
>> storing its content as XML in a zip archive. We've used it as a
>> front-end for a CMS, providing template documents with style sheets that
>> have to be used. These styles match the structure of the target XML
>> document that is produced from the OO file. This solution just rocks, as
>> anybody (even a boss :-) is able to write content in a userfriendly and
>> productive environment with spell checking, typing completion, etc etc.
>> On the CMS side, the sxw archive is exploded, the XML content is
>> transformed into the target markup (e.g. DocBook) and images are stored.
>

> That's an inspired solution - is it all proprietary or is your code
> published somewhere?

It's proprietary, but some basic blocks that were needed to build it are
now in Cocoon: ZipArchiveSerializer, CVSSource (at cocoondev.org), some
parts of Cocoon Forms, etc.

Sylvain

Re: OpenOffice frontend for CMS

Posted by Jon Evans <jo...@misgl.com>.
Hi Sylvain,

On 25 Jun 2004, at 14:15, Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> It's proprietary, but some basic blocks that were needed to build it
> are
> now in Cocoon: ZipArchiveSerializer, CVSSource (at cocoondev.org), some
> parts of Cocoon Forms, etc.

OK, cheers.  It sounds like an idea worth pursuing here for a web app
we're developing.

Thanks,

Jon

Re: OpenOffice frontend for CMS

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Jon Evans wrote:
>
>> Hi Sylvain,
>>
>> On 25 Jun 2004, at 11:42, Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>>
>>> Now we have that nice thing called OpenOffice that is a wordprocessor
>>> storing its content as XML in a zip archive. We've used it as a
>>> front-end for a CMS, providing template documents with style sheets
>>> that
>>> have to be used. These styles match the structure of the target XML
>>> document that is produced from the OO file. This solution just
>>> rocks, as
>>> anybody (even a boss :-) is able to write content in a userfriendly and
>>> productive environment with spell checking, typing completion, etc etc.
>>> On the CMS side, the sxw archive is exploded, the XML content is
>>> transformed into the target markup (e.g. DocBook) and images are
>>> stored.
>>

>> That's an inspired solution - is it all proprietary or is your code
>> published somewhere?
>

> It's proprietary, but some basic blocks that were needed to build it
> are now in Cocoon: ZipArchiveSerializer, CVSSource (at cocoondev.org),
> some parts of Cocoon Forms, etc.
>
> Sylvain

It is possible to use OpenOffice-Writer documents in Forrest - see the
examples after seeding a new Forrest project. For me this works well. I
think this could be interesting for Cocoon too.

Currently the .sxw docs are stored and during the rendering process the
ZIPSource is used to extract the content and create the documentation.

--
Reinhard, writing this without reading the whole thread