Posted to mirrors@apache.org by Andrew Kenna <an...@stamina.com.au> on 2001/08/24 02:07:55 UTC

Your thoughts are required

1) How does everyone feel about having the apache specific web site
httpd.apache.org accessible via rsync ?
 This then would give you guys the ability to have a fully functional local
apache mirror instead of having your users forced to goto apache's server

2) Making as many of the apache projects mirrorable and having some sort of
database system on apache's main web server that maintains the following
information

Mirror Site
Apache Projects Housed
Country the Mirror is Housed in.
Bandwidth Connection
Version of Apache
Whether the server can handle incoming rsync for wider distribution of
apache software
Last Time Updated(If possible this would be generated by the last time the
mirror contacted apache's rsync server to get updates)

Also this question/suggestion is more aimed at the people who have access to
the apache servers and maintain the documentation project.

3) Why don't we instead of hard-coding httpd.apache.org/docs on the main
page of httpd.apache.org just have references to the directories since they
are on the same web site. ie have /docs and /docs-2.0

Any other thoughts on how the apache mirrors can be improved are more than
welcome.

I will be working on some prototype database entry screens over time
--

Andrew

Re: Your thoughts are required

Posted by Sander Steffann <sa...@steffann.nl>.
Sounds good to me!
Sander.

Posted by Thomas Eibner <th...@stderr.net>.
On Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 06:12:23PM -0700, David Kirchner wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 10:07:55AM +1000, Andrew Kenna wrote:
> > Also this question/suggestion is more aimed at the people who have access to
> > the apache servers and maintain the documentation project.
> >
> > 3) Why don't we instead of hard-coding httpd.apache.org/docs on the main
> > page of httpd.apache.org just have references to the directories since they
> > are on the same web site. ie have /docs and /docs-2.0
> >
> > Any other thoughts on how the apache mirrors can be improved are more than
> > welcome.
> >
> > I will be working on some prototype database entry screens over time
>
> How about an update to the search engine so it records which server you
> came from and then generates a list of responses which point to that
> server? I know I usually go straight to the search box when I'm looking
> for something, and no matter which mirror I come from, I end up at
> httpd.apache.org, which I'm sure would be nice to avoid. ;)

Sounds like a good idea, but might require some work. Maybe among with
the other data Andrew Kenna suggest could be a absolute URL to the doc
roots of each of the mirrors so that it wouldn't have to rely on referer
for constructing the to-the-mirror-you-came-from url, or even a unique
id from the search box on the site that tells the search engine which
mirror you're coming from. Sounds good to have the search in a central
place and still be getting the pages from the (hopefully) closer mirror.

--
  Thomas Eibner <http://thomas.eibner.dk/> DnsZone <http://dnszone.org/>
  mod_pointer <http://stderr.net/mod_pointer>

Re: Your thoughts are required

Posted by David Kirchner <dp...@dpk.net>.
On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 10:07:55AM +1000, Andrew Kenna wrote:
> 1) How does everyone feel about having the apache specific web site
> httpd.apache.org accessible via rsync ?
>  This then would give you guys the ability to have a fully functional local
> apache mirror instead of having your users forced to goto apache's server

That'd be great.

> 2) Making as many of the apache projects mirrorable and having some sort of
> database system on apache's main web server that maintains the following
> information
>
> Mirror Site
> Apache Projects Housed
> Country the Mirror is Housed in.
> Bandwidth Connection
> Version of Apache
> Whether the server can handle incoming rsync for wider distribution of
> apache software
> Last Time Updated(If possible this would be generated by the last time the
> mirror contacted apache's rsync server to get updates)

How about 'Restricted to country XX'?

Posted by David Kirchner <dp...@dpk.net>.

Posted by Thomas Eibner <th...@stderr.net>.
On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 10:58:57AM +1000, jason andrade wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Aug 2001, Andrew Kenna wrote:
>
> > 1) How does everyone feel about having the apache specific web site
> > httpd.apache.org accessible via rsync ?
> >  This then would give you guys the ability to have a fully functional local
> > apache mirror instead of having your users forced to goto apache's server
>
> while i would like this, it leads in some ways to quite complex setups.
>
> e.g currently i have apache.planetmirror.com.
>
> in the past, references to the httpd project were available at
>
> apache.planetmirror.com/httpd/
>
> if we split all the projects off, we will now have:
>
> httpd.apache.planetmirror.com
>
> i am not totally opposed to this, but it does add a layer of complexity - instead
> of one virtual host, i will now have to setup perhaps 5, or 10.

If the local references in all the documents are relative to the place
where you are it would be possible to stay with your old solution of
just having apache.planetmirror.com and it would be up to the individual
maintainer to place them where he wants them. It also makes it easier
for educational institutions that only have (or had) one single hostname
for all their mirrors.

Posted by Thomas Eibner <th...@stderr.net>.

Posted by jason andrade <ja...@dstc.edu.au>.
On Fri, 24 Aug 2001, Andrew Kenna wrote:

> 1) How does everyone feel about having the apache specific web site
> httpd.apache.org accessible via rsync ?
>  This then would give you guys the ability to have a fully functional local
> apache mirror instead of having your users forced to goto apache's server

while i would like this, it leads in some ways to quite complex setups.

e.g currently i have apache.planetmirror.com.

in the past, references to the httpd project were available at

apache.planetmirror.com/httpd/

if we split all the projects off, we will now have:

httpd.apache.planetmirror.com

i am not totally opposed to this, but it does add a layer of complexity - instead
of one virtual host, i will now have to setup perhaps 5, or 10.

> 2) Making as many of the apache projects mirrorable and having some sort of
> database system on apache's main web server that maintains the following
> information

this is getting to be extremely important.

> 3) Why don't we instead of hard-coding httpd.apache.org/docs on the main
> page of httpd.apache.org just have references to the directories since they
> are on the same web site. ie have /docs and /docs-2.0

yes please.  one of the more annoying things from my POV is that
a lot of users who *used* to use a local mirror to use the online documentation
don't bother anymore.

basically, the requirement i have as an apache mirror is that i would like
to maintain all of the apache content locally.  exactly how that's structured
and what hoops i have to jump through to make that happen.. i am pretty flexible
with.

cheers,

-jason

Re: Your thoughts are required

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Fri, 24 Aug 2001, Andrew Kenna wrote:

> 1) How does everyone feel about having the apache specific web site
> httpd.apache.org accessible via rsync ?
>  This then would give you guys the ability to have a fully functional local
> apache mirror instead of having your users forced to goto apache's server

That would be fine, except that I already have a functional apache
mirror on my laptop. Two of them, actually, since I have the 1.3 and
2.0 docs on my laptop via cvs checkouts. I realize that I only have
the documentation, but what else would I really need?

> Also this question/suggestion is more aimed at the people who have access to
> the apache servers and maintain the documentation project.
>
> 3) Why don't we instead of hard-coding httpd.apache.org/docs on the main
> page of httpd.apache.org just have references to the directories since they
> are on the same web site. ie have /docs and /docs-2.0

That's the way that it already is. Well, almost. They are links to
docs/ and docs-2.0/ so that you can have an Apache site mirror as part
of your website, and not necessarily as a separate vhost. For example,
I had my mirror for a long time at
http://apache.rcbowen.com/mirror/apachesite or something like that,
and the links to docs/ still worked, whereas a link to /docs would
presume that this was a separate vhost for the mirror.

I guess I'm unclear what problem you are trying to solve.

--
Pilgrim, how you journey on the road you chose
To find out where the winds die and where the stories go

Re: Your thoughts are required

Posted by jason andrade <ja...@dstc.edu.au>.

Posted by Joshua Slive <sl...@commerce.ubc.ca>.
On Fri, 24 Aug 2001, Andrew Kenna wrote:
> 3) Why don't we instead of hard-coding httpd.apache.org/docs on the main
> page of httpd.apache.org just have references to the directories since they
> are on the same web site. ie have /docs and /docs-2.0

Hmmm.  It seems to me that this is true already:
  <LI>Documentation: <A HREF="docs/">Version 1.3</A> |
                     <A HREF="docs-2.0/">Version 2.0</a>

Other than that, your proposal seems fine.  (Although it seems like quite
a bit of work.)

Joshua.

Re: Your thoughts are required

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.