Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Bruce Schuchardt <br...@vmware.com> on 2021/03/30 15:07:04 UTC

request for people putting up pull requests

If you want people to review your PR it would be kind of you to put in a description of its purpose.  If you just reference a JIRA ticket we have to do the extra work of pulling up the ticket to see what it’s about.  I’m seeing this more and more lately.

Re: request for people putting up pull requests

Posted by Alexander Murmann <am...@vmware.com>.
Thanks for calling this out, Bruce!

Even ignoring the curtesy to reviewers, it's hugely beneficial to have at least descriptive commit messages, that describe the intent behind the change and maybe even give a little bit of insight into the design decision. JIRA is great, but all our IDEs and CLI tools integrate with git and it's a huge productivity boost to be able to see why a code change was made years from now, right from within the tool you are already using. In fact, this convenience can help prevent potential bugs, since we are more likely to see the reasoning if it's easier to get to.