Posted to sanselan-dev@incubator.apache.org by Mathieu Avoine <av...@gmail.com> on 2009/02/20 12:20:04 UTC

a few questions

Hi all,

I started a few months ago developing a photo manager which I expect to
open when I get something working. I use sanselan for extracting
metadata and it looks very promising. I have a few questions (partly
answered by the faq):

1) Is there in sanselan a mapping of the possible values for metadata?
For example, if I query for the orientation of the photo, I get values
like 1, 8, etc... I had to use trial and error to figure out the meaning
of the values. Is there a more straightforward way to decode the values?

2) Is there any plan to make a localizable "print-out" of the values
using sanselan? For example, let's say I want to show all the available
values of the exif, is there a way to have a localized print?

Thanks
Math
PS: by the way, the hyperlinks for the example code do not work.

Re: a few questions

Posted by Charles Matthew Chen <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi Math,

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 7:20 AM, Mathieu Avoine <av...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 1) Is there in sanselan a mapping of the possible values for metadata? For
> example, if I query for the orientation of the photo, I get values like 1,
> 8, etc... I had to use trial and error to figure out the meaning of the
> values. Is there a more straightforward way to decode the values?

   There aren't currently any constants for EXIF metadata.  You're
right - adding them for many of the most commonly used tags would be a
good idea.  Are you interested in working on this?  It would be fairly
straightforward - the common tags are well-documented.

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 7:20 AM, Mathieu Avoine <av...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2) Is there any plan to make a localizable "print-out" of the values using
> sanselan? For example, let's say I want to show all the available values of
> the exif, is there a way to have a localized print?

   The EXIF standard is sprawling and inconsistent.  The semantics of
many tags varies from vendor to vendor and from camera to camera.
Generating a human-readable description of even the most common tags
would be a non-trivial project.  Localizing this description (in the
sense of l10n) would make this project even more complicated.

   Sanselan structures image metadata in tree-like heirarchies, each
node of which implements IImageMetadata.  The toString() method of
each node (a single Exif Tag, all of the Exif from an image, etc.)
returns a simple, human-readable description.  Its not very
sophisticated yet, but its a start.  Again, I invite you to work on
this.

   Also, thanks for pointing out the broken links; I've fixed them

Charles Matthew