Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Ankur Agarwal <an...@yahoo.com> on 2007/01/24 14:55:39 UTC

Commons mail API Vs Linux sendmail

Hi,

  I am eager to know wgat are the benefits of using Jakarta's commons mail API over sendmail utility?

  Specifically what are the functionalities that i cannot achieve using sendmail or vice-cersa? e.g. attachments?

  regards,
  Ankur

---------------------------------
Finding fabulous fares is fun.

Re: Commons mail API Vs Linux sendmail

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 1/24/07, Ankur Agarwal <an...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>   I am eager to know wgat are the benefits of using Jakarta's commons mail API over sendmail utility?
>
>   Specifically what are the functionalities that i cannot achieve using sendmail or vice-cersa? e.g. attachments?

If you want to use sendmail, you'll need a wrapper library anyways:
Calling sendmail from the command line isn't as trivial as it might
seem. Second, even on a Linux system you cannot depend on the presence
of sendmail: A lot of machines are running Exim, Postfix or whatever
SMTP server. Finally, why not use a platform independent solution?

Jochen

--
How fast can a year go? As fast as your childs first year.