Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Leon Brocard <ac...@astray.com> on 2001/11/30 15:13:58 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] OpenFrame 2.05

This is the first wide announcement of the release of OpenFrame.

OpenFrame is an Application Framework for Perl and the Web. It is
designed to do enough to make your life easier, and provide enough
flexibility to make extending it to do what *you* want it to pretty
easily.

It doesn't have to run under mod_perl, but it can. It doesn't have to
use the Template Toolkit, but it can. It doesn't have to use SOAP to
distribute parts of it on seperate machines, but it can. I hope you're
beginning to get the idea...

It is available from CPAN (2.05 will be up shortly):
http://search.cpan.org/search?dist=OpenFrame

Please check out the website for demonstrations, documentation and a
presentation on OpenFrame:
http://openframe.fotango.com/

Thanks. I'd love to get some feedback on it, Leon
--
... the bunnies are coming!

Re: [ANNOUNCE] OpenFrame 2.05

Posted by Leon Brocard <ac...@astray.com>.
Jonas Liljegren sent the following bits through the ether:

> I checked it out from CVS.  But there is no INSTALL file.

Right, there is however a lib/OpenFrame/Install.pod which I've just
updated to clear things up. I guess we should copy the text to INSTALL
to make things clear. The Apache stuff still hasn't been fleshed out.

> I guess I should do some Apache configuration or run a custom HTTP
> server.  But I can't find anything about it in README or FAQ.

You can run the examples (which use the standalone HTTP server) after
making install which should give you a good idea of how things work.

> What will happen if I do a "make install"?

The Perl modules get installed. Nothing else. It's just an application
framework: you have to build the rest. However, it isn't hard. For
example, go into "examples/hangman2/" and run "./hangman2" for a full
(fun!) example using sessions and TT2.

> But I'm still havenn't a general picture of the principle design.

Right. I guess OpenFrame.pm should contain a top-level description of
how it all works. I'm going to turn the examples into walk-throughs as
that'll help too I imagine.

> It feels like too much module documentation to read before I have
> decided if I would liek to realy try it out.

It's not *that* much work:

  % cvs update
  % perldoc lib/OpenFrame/Install.pod
  % make install
  % cd examples/hangman2/
  % ./hangman.pl

Try it out and tell us what you think ;-)

Leon

ps thanks for you comments
--
.sig.at.home

Re: [ANNOUNCE] OpenFrame 2.05

Posted by Jonas Liljegren <jo...@liljegren.org>.
Leon Brocard <ac...@astray.com> writes:

> This is the first wide announcement of the release of OpenFrame.

I checked it out from CVS.  But there is no INSTALL file.

I guess I should do some Apache configuration or run a custom HTTP
server.  But I can't find anything about it in README or FAQ.

What will happen if I do a "make install"?

I read the slides from London.pm presentation and lookeed briefly at
some example code.

/ Jonas  -  http://jonas.liljegren.org/myself/en/index.html