Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Jean-Sebastien Vachon <je...@wantedtech.com> on 2011/05/19 13:25:06 UTC

SOLR-2209

Hi All,

I am having some problems with the presence of unnecessary  parenthesis in my query.
A query such as:
                title:software AND (title:engineer)
will return no results. Remove the parenthesis fix the issue but then since my user can enter the parenthesis by himself I need to find a way to fix or work-around this bug. I found that this is related to SOLR-2209 but there is no activity on this bug.

Anyone know if this will get fixed some time in the future or if it is already fixed in Solr 4?

Otherwise, could someone point me to the code handling this so that I can attempt to make a fix?

Thx

RE: SOLR-2209

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Vachon <js...@videotron.ca>.
I'm using Solr 1.4...

I thought I had a case without a NOT but it seems to work now :S
It might be a glitch on my server.

The problem is easily reproducible with the NOT operator

http://10.0.5.221:8983/jobs/select?q=title:java%20AND%20(-title:programmer)
http://10.0.5.221:8983/jobs/select?q=title:java%20AND%20(-(title:programmer)
)

both queries returns 0 results while...

http://10.0.5.221:8983/jobs/select?q=title:java%20AND%20-(title:programmer)
(note the position of the negation operator)

returns more than 50 000 results

What version of Solr are you using? Because this works fine for me.

Could you attach the results of adding &debugQuery=on in both instances?
The parsed form of the query is identical in 1.4.1 as far as I can tell. The
bug you're referencing is a peculiarity of the not (-) operator I think.

Best
Erick

Re: SOLR-2209

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.