Posted to dev@camel.apache.org by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com> on 2008/11/11 20:22:23 UTC

Camel 2.0 - default endpoint

Hi

I am wondering if this "default" endpoint is used by anyone? I am
wondering what the purpose really is and what it solves. Is it
possible to consider to remove this?
Would remove many methods for ProducerTemplate so less for end users
to get confused by.

--

/Claus Ibsen
Apache Camel Committer

Re: [DISCUSS] Camel 2.0 - default endpoint

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
James that is a perfect example. The annotation and producer template
makes 1+1=3.

So let's keep it as is.

/Claus Ibsen
Apache Camel Committer
Blog: http://davsclaus.blogspot.com/

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

> But I will turn my attention to other issues to tackle ;(
Sorry the smiley faced the wrong direction. Should be ;)
I am not at all sour, even though my mail might have such a tone. Just
me being curious and digging into all kind of corners in Camel
and being from Denmark where we tend to raise our voices.

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
The idea is that in Dependency Injection scenario is it's simpler to 1
inject one thing (the template) into another object rather than 2
things (the object and the endpoint).

It's an ease of use issue.  And camel is all about ease of use.

Is this really complicating things that much?  I would think there are
tougher issues to tackle.

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 1:04 PM, Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I guess the endpoint resolution can be done once. So I still don't see
> the valid point of this default
>
> final Endpoint ep = context.getEndpoint("uri");
>  ProducerTemplate template = new DefaultTemplate(context);
>  while (condition) {
>    template.send(ep, body);
>  }
>

> /Claus Ibsen
> Apache Camel Committer
> Blog: http://davsclaus.blogspot.com/
>

> On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 3:57 PM, Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I think the point is that you can have something like:
>>
>> ProducerTemplate template = new DefaultTemplate(context, uri);
>> while (condition) {
>>    template.send(body);
>> }
>>
>> This would work too, of course:
>>
>> ProducerTemplate template = new DefaultTemplate(context);
>> while (condition) {
>>    template.send(uri, body);
>> }
>>
>> ... but it would force an endpoint resolution at every iteration.
>>
>> Hadrian
>>

>> On Nov 13, 2008, at 5:17 AM, Claus Ibsen wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Hmm is there any documentation with such a sample how to reuse it?
>>>
>>> I would still like to keep Camel simpler and not support "corner case
>>> use-cases", that is not documented or anyhow possible for end-users to
>>> figure out how to use.
>>>
>>> We could maybe reduce some of the default endpoint send/request
>>> methods on ProducerTemplate to reduce the number of methods end-users
>>> get when they press control + space. If we could keep one for these
>>> few uses-cases with reuse?

>>> --
>>>
>>> /Claus Ibsen
>>> Apache Camel Committer

Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Open Source SOA
http://open.iona.com

Re: [DISCUSS] Camel 2.0 - default endpoint

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.
I just talked to Hiram to figure out why it got there in the first
place.  He gives a

-1 for removing,

and I change my vote to 0 :).  The idea comes from the spring jms
template and it's quite handy when you want to reuse the template and
keep sending to the same uri.  The endpoint uri resolves once.  Well,

Posted by Jon Anstey <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.
Hi Claus,

Re: Camel 2.0 - default endpoint