Posted to dev@river.apache.org by Elijah Menifee <el...@gmail.com> on 2009/07/01 04:12:39 UTC

Jini.org and mailing list

Just as I was getting the itch to look into JavaSpaces/Jini again as a
possible technology to use for a possible redesign( at least a proof of
concept) of my company's internal software, the announcement went out that
the JavaSpaces-Users and Jini-Users mailing list were coming to an end.

SO, I started looking into the River project, and have found the recent
river-dev mail list archives, As far as I can tell still no decision has
actually been made about what to do about jini.org, should it remain
distinct from the River project, is it going to stay funded, should all the
data be ported with a redirect?  I believe I came across the deadline of
July 8....

If my company was not a month behind in payroll, I would offer to at least
contribute via PayPal to fund the current site or domain name registration.
However since I am currently in a bind financial I figured I could at least
contribute some evenings and weekend work (Currently no other plans for July
4th).  Just in case no community decision is made I am planning to start
manually adding what I think could be relavent from the Jini.org site to the
Apache River wiki. The down-side however, is that I have not actively
followed the jini project in quite some time, SO I do not know for sure what
might be the most important information or what information is out of date
or irrelevant to the River project(I understand Jini is at 2.1, the last
version I worked with was 1.2.1)  In a way this will give me a chance to
re-familiarize myself with what I think IS a great redundant distributed
platform.

Also there is some talk that we may manage to get the archive lists released
and stored on the River site, If the current plan falls through I have a
large portion of the JAVASPACES-USERS since DEC 2002 in my IMAP Maildir
folder.  If needed I am confident I can browse through the list to make sure
no irrelevant e-mails got save to that Maildir, and double check to see if
any other messages got saved somewhere else.  It would at least be a partial
archive since there was a lot of non JavaSpace specific/Jini only mailing I
did not archive and others may have gotten lost over the years, still it is
approximately 1850 messages for the JavaSpaces info with some generic Jini
bleed over.

Re: Jini.org and mailing list

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 10:07 AM, Elijah Menifee<el...@gmail.com> wrote:
> True it did not capture CSS based style from the wiki but it did capture the
> information hierarchy with basic table layouts and header levels,

A parser to import the 'content' will have a hard time to figure out
what belongs to a menu, footer or sidebar. I.e. only the 'editable'
bit should be extracted/exported "somehow", so one can create a script
to translate one Wiki format to another.
No, I am not at all concerned about the CSS or L&F, on the contrary...

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

I  live here; http://tinyurl.com/2qq9er
I  work here; http://tinyurl.com/2ymelc
I relax here; http://tinyurl.com/2cgsug

Posted by Elijah Menifee <el...@gmail.com>.
I am sure there could be an automated conversion, at the time there was more
concern that Jini.org would disappear and the simplest answer was to
manually (brute force as you describe it) reenter the information on the new
wiki.  I did not know how to go about obtaining a backup besides the wget
method, so I started plodding along, finding a way to contribute, even if it
was not the most productive use of my time.

If you could get me some information on the database platform, and a copy of
the backup sql/dbfiles I can look into writing a perl script that would at a
minimum find a way of converting the MediaWiki src files into MoinMoin src,
for manual pasting.  And with luck and more effort could possibly use the
LWP module to automate the posting of edits, including wiki edit history,
assuming that is stored the database backup you obtained.

The jini.org site is large enough for it to be worthwhile to look into
writing such a script, if the site was smaller, it might make since to
continue to plod along with the brute force manual approach I started. If a
conversion utility ends up being out of the question, it is still small
enough, that I would be willing to continue my manual method for the
Specs,Docs,FAQs...

Re: Jini.org and mailing list

Posted by Jeff Ramsdale <je...@gmail.com>.

Re: Jini.org and mailing list

Posted by Elijah Menifee <el...@gmail.com>.

Re: Jini.org and mailing list

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by Elijah Menifee <el...@gmail.com>.
Not sure what you mean by context insensitive fashion...,

It grabs a basic mirror of all the site HTML and converts the links for
local viewing, to relative dir links for any files it downloaded, and files
not downloaded replaces with absolute hrefs using hostname/path.

Some things were not grabbed due to robots.txt or anything that required
server side extensions to render/process, but it does grab a static version
of the information that was on the wiki.

Re: Jini.org and mailing list

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by Jeff Ramsdale <je...@gmail.com>.
Probably not. It's harder to come by Java hosting and it's generally more
expensive. I've also dabbled in Liferay administration and wouldn't want to
commit to that. Liferay's wiki is also not as powerful as MediaWiki's,
though I found it passable.
-jeff

Posted by Luis Arce <ma...@hotmail.com>.
Hi all,

Posted by Jeff Ramsdale <je...@gmail.com>.

Web hosting of Jini.org was:Re: Jini.org and mailing list

Posted by Peter Firmstone <ji...@zeus.net.au>.

Re: Jini.org and mailing list

Posted by Elijah Menifee <el...@gmail.com>.

Re: Jini.org and mailing list

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by Peter Firmstone <ji...@zeus.net.au>.

Re: Jini.org and mailing list

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by Jim Waldo <Ji...@sun.com>.
An update on the jini.org domain name... I've been able to track some
things inside of Sun, and found that the registration for the name
will be renewed by Sun. What will happen the next time the
registration expires will be up to the new owners, but for now the
domain name will remain registered...

Jim Waldo

Re: Jini.org and mailing list

Posted by Patrick Wright <pd...@gmail.com>.
> Jim Waldo very graciously went to the trouble of obtaining and recently
> uploading the email list archives to JIRA-
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RIVER-311

I'm taking a look today at trying to convert these (or a portion, at
first) to Mailman mbox format. If that works, MarkMail.org has said
they would be willing to host the archives (Nabble would be an
alternative) if we can provide them in mbox format. I've never done
the conversion before, and am not familiar with Mailman--so this will
take a little time (docs on the conversion are scarce, actually). I'll
ping the list as I make (or fail to make) progress.

Patrick

Re: Jini.org and mailing list

Posted by Peter Firmstone <ji...@zeus.net.au>.
Thanks & Welcome Elijah,