Posted to user@roller.apache.org by Christopher Blasnik <c....@ucs.at> on 2009/08/10 10:06:13 UTC

Upcoming Roller 5.0 / Questions about new features

Hello all,

I am currently working on an offer for a customer to implement Roller as
their blogging solution.

However, since we are trying to cut down development costs (this being
an initial project) we are trying to identify
where to save time / money with respect to the features that the
customer requires and which of those might / will be
in the next Roller release.

So, as Dave Johnson correctly pointed out to me, I direct my questions
to this mailing list:

1.) Asset management / media managent:

Will there be a feature to configure / use external asset management
services such as Amazon S3, or any ftp server of one's choice?
I noticed a few gui updates concerning media files in the blog-entry
comment pages, however, they only featured the ability to upload files
to the roller db.

2.) Will you include social bookmarking by default?
i.e. add a template / component having social bookmarking links

3.) Word-blacklist
Atm this is a hard-coded file (for the default settings) which, if
conditions apply, will prevent a comment from being shown.
- Will there be a feature to have the comment uploaded and obfuscate /
grey-out words on the blacklist?
- Will the hardcoded sample file be moved into the roller db?

One question regarding the current implementation: If there's a
blacklist configured for a blog, will it completely disregard the sample
blacklist?

4.) Are there any plans to include simple templates for mobile devices,
e.g. BlackBerries (I saw the post on the Iphone- google thing on Dave's
blog, btw ;-) ?

5.) Will it be possible to make "replies" to comments? I.e. display
comments in a hierarchical way?

6.) Are there any plans to include "personal messages" (i.e. any blog
user can write a personal message to a blog owner --> all done via
roller, no mail involved)?

7.) Plugins:
Will there be any plugins for ...
- ... rating a blog post
- ... displaying a blogroll / blog topics according to their ratings
- ... polls ?

8.) The IP ban list ist not part of the default roller.properties file
(.. anymore, just checked the svn sources from today).
- Will there be a way to administer the banned IPs via the backend GUI?

Cheers & thanks for your time,

- Chris Blasnik

Re: Upcoming Roller 5.0 / Questions about new features

Posted by David Johnson <sn...@gmail.com>.
At this point, I think it is likely that Roller 5.0 will include these
features:

    http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ROLLER/Apache+Roller+5.0+Release

No other work is planned, as far as I know. My plan is simply to
finish the features we have now in Subversion, fix as many bugs as I
can and try to get Roller 5.0 RC1 out by November. I cannot make any
promises though.

If you would like to submit patches to implement any of the features
that you want then we'd be glad to consider them.

- Dave