Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com> on 2007/12/13 16:36:50 UTC

Commit message

Hi Commiters,

As suggested by Jacopo I (re)-read the commiters page. I w'd like to note something here, especially for new commiters (but not only
;o)

What Do I Need To Keep In Mind When Applying Patches From A Contributor?
You need to make sure that the commit message contains at least the name of the contributor and ideally a reference to the Bugzilla
or JIRA issue where the patch was submitted. The reasons: this preserves the legal trail and makes sure that contributors are
recognized. Obviously, the latter doesn't mean it's not a good idea to list the names of all contributors somewhere on the website.
To make it easier to "grep" for commits with patches from contributors, always use the same pattern in the commit message.
Traditionally, we use "Submitted by: <name>" or "Obtained from: <name>".
Here's an example of what such a commit message could look like:
Bugzilla #43835:
Added some cool new feature.
Submitted by: John Doe <john.doe.at.null.org>

taken from http://www.apache.org/dev/committers.html#applying-patches

Feek free to use your own pattern, it's easy with svn tools around.

Thanks

Jacques

Re: Commit message

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
Thanks for clarifying.
you email did not get to me before I sent mine.
:)

Jacopo Cappellato sent the following on 12/13/2007 8:57 AM:

Re: Commit message

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.

Re: Commit message

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.