Posted to user@ode.apache.org by Ivan Trajkovic <iv...@gmail.com> on 2008/08/01 02:33:51 UTC

newbie integration layer question

hello everyone
Im pretty intrigued about ODE's capabilities, and would like to start
integrating it into my new system.
I was wondering if there was a place where I could read up more about how to
go about integrating my classes into the Integration Layer so to have those
functions available as services from within my BPEL processes. I would
prefer this approach to avoid slowdowns/inefficiencies due to SOAP
parsing/transmission. The classes are written in Scala, but this is a
non-issue since it all compiles down to JVM bytecode and looks the same to
ODE at runtime.
Im still not sure how well this would scale, and Im assuming that it would
pretty much mean that I would have to make my class methods
re-entrant/stateless.
I've looked at the Javadocs but this is a pretty harsh way to start from
scratch when there's no clue about what are the primary things to get
familiar with.

thank you for your help, its very much appreciated.

Re: newbie integration layer question

Posted by Matthieu Riou <ma...@offthelip.org>.
On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 7:20 PM, Ivan Trajkovic <iv...@gmail.com>wrote:

> thanks guys, I'll look into it
> just to check, the IL allows me to expose POJO's directly to the workflows
> so that I can orchestrate them knowing that no SOAP exchanges will happen?
> that is my goal, to know that the worfklow is executed in-process without
> OS
> calls for networking (there's a possibility that thats a dump statement
> since WSDL is used to define services and there might not be any option to
> have methods exposed "by default" without WSDL's being required).

Correct, their won't be any SOAP envelope creation nor remote calls. If you
put yourself as the IL level, you will be in the same space as the ODE
server. That being said, you'll still have to put up with WSDL as it's our
native interface definition language for the processes.

> understand that its a basic question, but I just want to make sure. I just
> realized that IL might be API's for providing core internal services to the
> ODE engine that are needed for its internal functioning, and not exposed to
> third-party processes...

Yeah so that's a bit awkward right now. The IL provides several services to
the server: instantiation and lifecycle management, messaging layer and
process store. Right now only the process store is a reusable component but
if you're just interested in plugging in your own messaging layer (with
POJOs in your case) you still have to deal with instantiation and lifecycle.
We plan to implement an easily embeddable server in the future that will
alleviate this issue, leaving you with only the process-to-service
communication to deal with. But it's not done yet (even though you can
easily copy/paste from existing implementations).

Matthieu

Posted by Ivan Trajkovic <iv...@gmail.com>.
really glad you replied, I thought I was being ignored for being to
adventurous in my thinking...
in general I think that having something like BPEL in a system is a great
thing, with all the theory behind workflows, but Im trying to imagine it in
the context of millions of hits, and really easy scaling...
with that said something made me think more and more about how
easy/difficult it would be to have the same semantics implemented in say
Erlang... I hope I didnt insult people here, but Erlang is nativelly
supporting some of the thigns that I see Jacob talking about. Its a really
neat/simple little language with a phenomenal VM that takes care of
scalability like a charm.

Im not enterprise house so sticking to BPEL as defined by the standards is
not something that is a must, its just the long running stuff that attracts
me, and the idea of having non-tech people design worfklows in BPMN...
Been reading about ProtoBuffers from Google too, and their concern with
performance is exactly what I have in mind as well...
In the process of writing a small Scala2WSDL tool, and thats almost done, so
I guess Im cool with WSDL ;), XPath is baked into the scala.xml package, so
Im cool with that too... Im blabbing here, Im sorry, but really minimizing
the amount of stuff thats in the runtime is what Im thinking about, and
coding something up in Erlang is seeming like a more and more of a good
idea... we'll see, I'll keep you posted.

ps. Im still going to research the IL further.
a wild thought - replicating the Jacob API in Erlang and then pluging that
into the rest of ODE?
thanks

Posted by Paul Brown <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ivan Trajkovic <iv...@gmail.com>.