Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com> on 2016/07/19 19:44:39 UTC

Re: propagating changes

At 15:13 19/07/2016 -0400, Felmon Davis wrote:
>I have a large document I work on this time of year. the default
>font size is 11pt but now I want to change it to 10.5pt - gonna make
>it into a booklet. simply altering the 'default' setting does not
>automatically modify the font size through the document.

This depends on what you mean by the "default setting". I'm guessing
that you have changed the value at Tools | Options... | OpenOffice
Writer | Basic Fonts (Western) | Default - and you are right: this
changes the default for new documents only and not anything in a
document currently open for editing.

>I don't want to 'select all' since there are other font sizes bound
>to a couple of 'styles' I'm using.

Good: that wouldn't be the best solution. But you are using more
styles that those "couple" you describe, since every paragraph will
have a paragraph style with its own font size. If you have not
knowingly ascribed a paragraph style to any part of your document,
they may have the Default paragraph style (not to be confused with
the default set in Options as above).

>how do I change a setting and have it 'propagate' automagically
>through the document? or is that not possible?

o Go to Format | Styles and Formatting (or click the Styles and
Formatting button in the Formatting toolbar, or press F11).
o Select the Paragraph Styles button in the button bar of that window.
o Put the cursor into your text to see which paragraph style is
highlighted as being used.
o Right click the paragraph style and select Modify... .
o Modify the font size as required.
o If this doesn't change all the relevant parts of your document,
repeat in unaffected parts and change those paragraph styles too.

>maybe copy and paste into a suitable template?

No need.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker