Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org> on 2017/10/18 23:42:46 UTC

[git] Migration to git repositories sort of complete (was: Migration to git starting, please hold commits in 30 minutes from now)

Hi,

The sources have been migrated from SVN to Git. Unfortunately there was
a snag ( https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-15308 ) where
repositories were created on github but not on gitbox, which means that
these repos are unusable.

Infra is looking into it. In the meantime ( 1-2 days at most hopefully
) my proposal is that we live with a split setup and commit to Git
where migrated or to SVN otherwise. That's a pretty weird setup, but
otherwise we'll have to drop + recreate all git repositories again, and
hopefully there won't be too many changes until I can complete the
migration.

The full list of repositories that were not properly created is:

sling-org-apache-sling-commons-fsclassloader.git
sling-org-apache-sling-commons-johnzon.git
sling-org-apache-sling-commons-metrics-rrd4j.git
sling-org-apache-sling-commons-messaging-mail.git
sling-org-apache-sling-commons-threads.git
sling-org-apache-sling-bundleresource-impl.git
sling-org-apache-sling-caconfig-impl.git
sling-org-apache-sling-discovery-api.git
sling-org-apache-sling-discovery-impl.git
sling-org-apache-sling-event.git
sling-org-apache-sling-fragment-ws.git
sling-org-apache-sling-fsresource.git
sling-org-apache-sling-hc-annotations.git
sling-org-apache-sling-hc-junit-bridge.git
sling-org-apache-sling-hc-samples.git
sling-org-apache-sling-hc-support.git
sling-org-apache-sling-models-validation-impl.git
sling-org-apache-sling-repoinit-parser.git
sling-org-apache-sling-settings.git
sling-org-apache-sling-validation-api.git
sling-org-apache-sling-validation-examples.git
sling-org-apache-sling-validation-test-services.git
sling-org-apache-sling-extensions-webconsolesecurityprovider.git
sling-org-apache-sling-jcr-base.git
sling-org-apache-sling-jcr-contentparser.git
sling-org-apache-sling-jcr-repository-it-resource-versioning.git
sling-org-apache-sling-jcr-jackrabbit-usermanager.git
sling-org-apache-sling-jcr-jcr-wrapper.git
sling-org-apache-sling-jcr-repoinit.git
sling-org-apache-sling-jcr-resource.git
sling-org-apache-sling-scripting-api.git
sling-org-apache-sling-scripting-el-api.git
sling-org-apache-sling-scripting-jsp.git
sling-org-apache-sling-scripting-sightly-compiler.git
sling-org-apache-sling-scripting-sightly.git
sling-org-apache-sling-scripting-sightly-testing-content.git
sling-org-apache-sling-servlets-get.git
sling-org-apache-sling-servlets-resolver.git
sling-org-apache-sling-distribution-it.git
sling-org-apache-sling-testing-clients.git
sling-tooling-jenkins.git

After this is fixed, I will complete the rest of the tasks from https:/
/issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-3987, but I expect no surprises
there.

Thanks,

Robert

Re: [git] Migration to git repositories sort of complete (was: Migration to git starting, please hold commits in 30 minutes from now)

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 1:42 AM, Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
> The sources have been migrated from SVN to Git....

Thanks! I have updated
http://sling.apache.org/project-information.html accordingly (should
be updated soon).

> Unfortunately there was a snag...

I have mentioned that there, pointing to
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-3987 - please update that
ticket once that's fixed.

-Bertrand

Posted by Julian Sedding <js...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for driving this!

Regards
Julian

Re: What to do with github.com/apache/sling (was [git] Migration to git repositories sort of complete)

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 2017-10-23 at 23:38 +0200, Robert Munteanu wrote:
> On Mon, 2017-10-23 at 18:40 +0100, Ian Boston wrote:
> > > So that would mean that all link to trunk would result in a 404
> > > Not
> > > Found, as I have tried it with [1].
> > >  So we either
> > > a) break all links to the 'trunk' branch, or
> > > b) leave the 'trunk' branch alive, with the added disadvantage
> > > that
> > > navigating from a 'trunk' link leaves the impression that the
> > > branch/repo are still in use.
> > > Did I get this right or is there something else?
> >
> > yes. a) isnt very friendly.
> >
> > If we choose b) we could rename the repository to sling-svn-ending-
> > 2017-10
> > or something like that. GitHub will redirect all traffic.
> >
> > https://help.github.com/articles/renaming-a-repository/
>
> That's pretty cool. I would assume that we won't be able to reclaim
> the
> old 'sling' name, otherwise the redirects would not work, but this
> should make it even clearer.
>
> Robert

I tried to summarize the current discussion at

  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-7183

I won't be able to look into this for the next two weeks, so if anyone
has the time to push this to its conclusion, feel free to do so.

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk>.
Hi

> So that would mean that all link to trunk would result in a 404 Not
> Found, as I have tried it with [1].

>  So we either

> a) break all links to the 'trunk' branch, or
> b) leave the 'trunk' branch alive, with the added disadvantage that
> navigating from a 'trunk' link leaves the impression that the
> branch/repo are still in use.

> Did I get this right or is there something else?

yes. a) isnt very friendly.

If we choose b) we could rename the repository to sling-svn-ending-2017-10
or something like that. GitHub will redirect all traffic.

https://help.github.com/articles/renaming-a-repository/

The other option is to transfer ownership of the repository. Git will also
redirect.

https://help.github.com/articles/about-repository-transfers/

Best Regards
Ian

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk>.
Hi,

Posted by Justin Edelson <ju...@justinedelson.com>.
+1

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.
I guess the 'minimal damage' approach would be to switch the main
branch and make that empty, with just a README.md .

Would need to talk to infra to see how that can happen. Unless anyone
is opposed, I would create a branch called 'archived' with the
following README.md contents:

8<---------------

# Apache Sling main repository (obsolete)

This repository used to contain the Apache Sling git mirror. With the
[migration to Git](https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-3987)
the content represents and older state and should not be relied upon.

This repository is still kept to prevent broken links from various
sites to pull requests or commits.

Please do not open pull requests, they will be ignored.

For more information about the Apache Sling source repositories, see
the [project information](https://sling.apache.org/project-information.
html#source-repository).

8<---------------

Thoughts?