Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by James Smith <jk...@email.arizona.edu> on 2001/09/10 17:24:36 UTC

XML version of JSP question

Hello.  I've looked through the archives, but I haven't seen a solution to
this problem.  I'm using XSLT to create a JSP page and to get that to work,
I am using Tomcat 4.0 Release Candidate 1 (on a Windows 2000 box, only
running Tomcat--no Apache nor IIS).  But the simple tests of the XML-version
of JSP I'm using seems to process all the scriplets first, and then the
HTML.  For instance, this code in regular JSP format returns the right
results:

<%
    int a = 15;
%>
    Hi.  My variable is: <%=a%>. <br />
    <% out.println("I like mongeese!<br />"); %>

******the results*******************

Hi. My variable is: 15.
I like mongeese!

**********************************

While the XML-style, which looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<jsp:root xmlns:jsp="http://java.sun.com/JSP/Page"
          version="1.2">
    <jsp:scriptlet>
        int a = 15;
    </jsp:scriptlet>
    Hi everyone!  The number is: <jsp:expression>a</jsp:expression>.<br />
        <jsp:scriptlet>
            out.println("I like the mongoose!<br />");
        </jsp:scriptlet>
</jsp:root>

Returns this:
****************************
15

I like the mongoose! Hi everyone! The number is: .

I attempted to add a namespace to my HTML tags in the XML version; however,
when I tried to run that version, I received an exception saying that the
URI I was using (http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml) was not resolvable:

***********************

org.apache.jasper.JasperException: This absolute uri
(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml) cannot be resolved in either web.xml or the
jar files deployed with this application

************************

So my questions are:
1) How do I get Jasper to resolve the namespace URI?  (I'm assuming that I
have to stick a line in web.xml?)
2) How do I get Tomcat to render XML-style JSP in the right order, just as
regular style JSP renders?

Thank all of you very much for your assistance in these questions.

James Smith

Re: XML version of JSP question

Posted by James Smith <jk...@email.arizona.edu>.
Excellent.  It worked.  Thank you very much.

James Smith

Posted by Greg Trasuk <st...@on.aibn.com>.
Hi James:

http://stratuscom.ca