Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Torsten Curdt <tc...@vafer.org> on 2003/10/20 11:04:46 UTC

bcel in xalan

Hi, there!

Over at Cocoon we are currently experimenting with BCEL.
It turned out that our Xalan jar already *includes*
BCEL.

Do you guys use a modified version of BCEL or why is
it included in the jar?
--
Torsten

Re: bcel in xalan

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@vafer.org>.
Santiago Pericas-Geertsen wrote:

> On Tue, 2003-10-21 at 13:48, Torsten Curdt wrote:
>
>>Torsten Curdt wrote:
>>
>>Can someone please give a statement whether the usual
>>BCEL distribution would do?
>

>  We are using version 5.0 of BCEL (unmodified).

excellent

> It should run with any
> of the more recent versions, but we obviously haven't done any testing.

alright

> BTW, in the source tree, there are different targets to build Xalan with
> and without XSLTC, and also XSLTC with and without its dependencies.

XSLTC without dependencies? That sounds good:)

Thanks for the pointer
--
Torsten

Re: bcel in xalan

Posted by Santiago Pericas-Geertsen <Sa...@sun.com>.
On Tue, 2003-10-21 at 13:48, Torsten Curdt wrote:
> Torsten Curdt wrote:
>
> Can someone please give a statement whether the usual
> BCEL distribution would do?

 We are using version 5.0 of BCEL (unmodified). It should run with any
of the more recent versions, but we obviously haven't done any testing.
BTW, in the source tree, there are different targets to build Xalan with
and without XSLTC, and also XSLTC with and without its dependencies.

 Hope this helps.

-- Santiago

Re: bcel in xalan

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@vafer.org>.

Re: bcel in xalan

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@vafer.org>.
> BCEL is used by the XSLTC mode's code generation.

Well, sure - but *if* it's no special version of BCEL
why is it included inside the Xalan jar? I'd exspect
only Xalan code in there.

A soon as you have an application that used Xalan and
BCEL you'll get classpath clashes.

I'd prefer to see the use of XSLTC *depend* on the a
BCEL jar. But it should not be part of the Xalan jar.

What do you guys think?
--
Torsten

Re: bcel in xalan

Posted by Joseph Kesselman <ke...@us.ibm.com>.

BCEL is used by the XSLTC mode's code generation.

Joe Kesselman, IBM Next-Generation Web Technologies: XML, XSL and more.
"The world changed profoundly and unpredictably the day Tim Berners Lee
got bitten by a radioactive spider." -- Rafe Culpin, in r.m.filk