Posted to user@flink.apache.org by Nick Bendtner <bu...@gmail.com> on 2020/06/22 00:13:05 UTC

State backend considerations

Hi guys,
I have a few questions on state backends.
Is there a guideline on how big the state has to be where it makes sense to
use RocksDB rather than FsStatebackend ? Is there an analysis on
latency for a full checkpoint for FsSateBackend based on increase in state
size ?

Best,
Nick.

Re: State backend considerations

Posted by Arvid Heise <ar...@ververica.com>.
Hi Nick,

Both questions are hard to answer given that it depends on your hardware,
access patterns (read/update), record size/structure, parallelism, and
probably a ton of other parameters.

The usual approach is to simply evaluate it in your setting. Since it's a
matter of configuration, you can do some A/B testing.

In general, you need RocksDB if you want to have incremental checkpoints,
which is recommended if you have rather few updates and big state.

--

Arvid Heise | Senior Java Developer

<https://www.ververica.com/>

Follow us @VervericaData

Conference

Ververica GmbH
Managing Directors: Timothy Alexander Steinert, Yip Park Tung Jason, Ji
(Toni) Cheng