Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Douglas Campbell <de...@yahoo.com> on 2010/09/08 20:14:01 UTC

concerns surrounding using timestamp with Put

Hi,

We're using 20.3 and would like to use a timestamp provided by an upstream
system during the put for updates to record column values.

Assuming the timestamp is trusted or can be identified as invalid by some means,
are there any other issues to be aware of when using the timestamp form of the
put call?

The main reason we're interested in this is that it allows for out of order
processing of updates.   i.e. an older update to a field arrives after an
already processed one.  In this case, a "normal" read on the column value will
produce the correct column value.

-Doug

RE: concerns surrounding using timestamp with Put

Posted by Jonathan Gray <jg...@facebook.com>.
Hi Doug,

Out of order insertion of timestamps is supported in 0.89/0.90/trunk but not fully supported in the 0.20.x series.  Primarily, you can see some weird stuff using Gets in 0.20 if you do out of order timestamp insertion.  Scans are mostly okay.

JG