Posted to dev@stratos.apache.org by Pradeep Fernando <pr...@gmail.com> on 2013/09/16 09:04:58 UTC

Identifying minimal 3rd party component set for each product.

Hi Devs,

Right now Apache Stratos products packs number of 3 rd party features
(org.wso2.carbon... features) during product installation. These features
are coarse grained and tailored for  the respective organizations' use
case. We should identify the minimal 3 rd party dependency set and include
only those..

proposed approach:

- create a one monolithic feature that includes all the 3 rd partly
components...
- eliminate unwanted components (bundle/jar level) one by one from that
feature.

wdyt ?

--Pradeep

Re: Identifying minimal 3rd party component set for each product.

Posted by Pradeep Fernando <pr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Paul,

Yes sure will get the help from bundle authors. However, our main concern
is features at this moment..
Feature include a coarse grained functionality and existing third party
features do not meet our exact requirement.. Hence thought of creating our
own feature for third party bundles and re-factor it to be minimal.

for an example,

right now ELB installs,

mediation-feature, which requires another feature A and feature B.

however stratos requires only synapse.core bundle found inside mediation
feature. Hence thought of creating a stratos feature called,

org.apache.stratos.3rdpary.bundles.feature and include only the necessary
bundles in to that.
The effort is targeted to eliminate the unwanted bundle installations... I
agree with your suggestion. But that would be a next step IMHO...

--Pradeep

--
Pradeep Fernando.
http://pradeepfernando.blogspot.com/

Re: Identifying minimal 3rd party component set for each product.

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pa...@wso2.com>.
Pradeep