Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com> on 2014/10/27 01:00:35 UTC

Higher than normal installer error rate

Hi,

Still seeing a higher than normal error rate. Errors over the last few weeks with > 50 errors

For 4.13 SDK we roughly got (from first couple of pages of top errors):

unable to create temp dir 450
windowsError 170
aglj40.jar download failed 149
Error #2032 148
Apache Flex SDK MD5 does not match the reference value 103
AIR download failed 90
Unable to load http://flex.apache.org/installer/sdk-installer-config-4.0.xml  67

I'd really like to know what the "windowsError" issue is as that seem the most common windows error after unable to create temp directory. Anyone have any ideas?

For the MD5 errors I wonder if some of them are false positives, notice that it using https to get the MD5 and also is using http to get the config file, both of seem to have higher level of request failures than other plain http requests. Not 100% sure does anyone have any other ideas?

We also had a large number of "Unable to download Apache Flex SDK" from Japan (47).

Over the last week FlexJS is still seeing a large number of errors including the JBerg version. Error rate for the JBerg version is around the 70% mark with similar errors to above.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Higher than normal installer error rate

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Sounds great!

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 2:20 PM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > I don’t remember what it was first time I ever ran the Installer, but
> lately (on Mac) it seems to offer the last
> > folder I chose, or the parent of that folder.  Could that be leading more
> > folks to pick folders that aren’t writeable?
>
> 99%+ of these errors are on windows. It is possible to get the issue on
> OSX you have to go out of your way to select a folder that isn't writable.
> (eg /System)
>
> My guess is that windows people like to put programs into their "Program
> Files" directory  which only Administrators can write to on modern versions
> of windows.

Adobe Flash Builder gets installed into C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Flash
Builder 4.7 (64 Bit)\  That comes with a 'sdks' folder with 4.6.0 and 3.6.0
pre-installed. Naturally, folks want to add new SDKs into this directory to
keep all the SDKs organized.

The problem is that the C:\Program Files directory is writable only with
Admin access by default.

One way to address this issue is to inform the user that the selected
directory is not writable.  I believe this is the fix Neil has submitted.

A more correct way would be to detect the current user's UAC level and
alerting the user that UAC needs to raised to install in the selected
directory.  [1]

The best way would be show the windows UAC dialog prompting the user to
allow the write operation.  I don't think it is possible with AIR
directly.  So, we will need to write a small script and invoke it via a
nativeprocess.  The elevated UAC will be valid until the Installer is
closed.

The problem would be if the user does not have the Admin username/password
which they will have to enter to proceed with the installation.  If they
don't have it, we should direct them to use a lower privileged directory
such as c:/temp or c:/users/{username}/AppData/Roaming/{FlexInstallationDir}

Of course, we can chose to skip all this by automatically selecting a
default directory such as
c:/Users/{username}/AppData/Roaming/{FlexInstallationDir}  This path should
be pretty straightforward to retrieve from the AIR apis.

Thanks,
Om

[1]
http://www.itwriting.com/blog/196-programmatically-detecting-whether-uac-is-enabled.html

Re: Higher than normal installer error rate

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 10/27/14, 1:39 PM, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

>HI,
>
>> BTW, if it is “access denied” and the other top failure is “unable to
>> create temp dir”, I’m wondering if we really need to create a temp dir
>>at
>> all?
>
>No but the destination selected could still be not writable. The temp
>diectory is in the destination directory.

I was looking at the code some more.  Maybe the Installer code should pick
a more intelligent default for the directory browser?  It looks like it
doesn’t define any default.  I don’t remember what it was first time I
ever ran the Installer, but lately (on Mac) it seems to offer the last
folder I chose, or the parent of that folder.  Could that be leading more
folks to pick folders that aren’t writeable?

Maybe folks who’ve hit this error can tell us where they eventually ended
up installing the SDK.

-Alex

Re: Higher than normal installer error rate

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> As I typed “windowsError” into Google, the first completion offered was
> “Access denied”.  Maybe it is the same error as the inability to create
> the temp dir.

A lot of windows error match the form  "WindowsError [error <code>]" which I think is what google is picking up there. ie access denied is error no 5. So not sure that is the issue.

I can't find reference to any with the exact case and spacing it reports ie "windowError". A screen short and/or log from a user getting this issue would help a lot I think.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

I've just been able to reproduce the 2032 (twice in a  row) using Charles (reverse proxy), basically you let the Flex SDK download and then throttle connections back to 256Kb/s and the AIR download fails with a 2032 error at some point. It didn't happen at the same time and is well in excess of the idle timeout setting. (around the 15-30 minutes)

BTW If you throttle up front the SDK  download works and takes about an hour to download. (But I only tried once)  So looks like it may be server related rather than than timeout related. Which is a pity as that's may means we have no control over it, other than moving the required Adobe bits to a real CDN if we ever got permission.

For reference error I got was:
[get] [IOErrorEvent type="ioError" bubbles=false cancelable=false eventPhase=2 text="Error #2032: Stream Error. URL: http://airdownload.adobe.com/air/mac/download/14.0//AdobeAIRSDK.tbz2?ts=201410270439" errorID=2032]

Anyone else able to reproduce this?

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

I also notice in the code we are doing this:

var req:URLRequest = new URLRequest(url);
//Wait for 5 minutes before aborting download attempt.  Adobe download sites as well as some Apache mirrors are extremely slow.
req.idleTimeout = 300000;

Which may not work correctly acording to this:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8820715/flex-httpservice-times-out-anyway

(ie first timeout works, but  possibly second+ fail?)

Anyone know any more info? this may explain the excess number of 2023 errors.

Thanks,
Justin