Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Raja Nagendra Kumar <Na...@tejasoft.com> on 2011/07/02 04:29:08 UTC

XXXWritable

Hi,

I read in Definitive guide that, LongWritable and xxWritables are more
optimized versions for network serialization of normal Java Long etc..

If that is so, would be not be easy for developers to use normal Java long
and string, so hadoop framework can internally convert the developer written
code to use the longwritable etc or through some intermediate code
conversions. This approach can greatly reduce the no of api and helps in
faster learning.

Not sure, why developer had to write and use XXXWritable etc in the context
of optimized for network serialization

Regards,
Raja Nagendra Kumar,
C.T.O
www.tejasoft.com
-Hadoop Adoption Consulting

Re: XXXWritable

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Do have a look at Apache Avro's use with MapReduce. It helps solve
some issues related with serialization in the way you are talking
about: http://avro.apache.org

On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 7:59 AM, Raja Nagendra Kumar
<Na...@tejasoft.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I read in Definitive guide that, LongWritable and xxWritables are more
> optimized versions for network serialization of normal Java Long etc..
>
> If that is so, would be not be easy for developers to use normal Java long
> and string, so hadoop framework can internally convert the developer written
> code to use the longwritable etc or through some intermediate code
> conversions. This approach can greatly reduce the no of api and helps in
> faster learning.
>
> Not sure, why developer had to write and use XXXWritable etc in the context
> of optimized for network serialization
>

> Regards,
> Raja Nagendra Kumar,
> C.T.O