Posted to user@thrift.apache.org by "Christian, Daniel" <Da...@Honeywell.com> on 2012/01/26 18:51:12 UTC

Streaming data to the client?

I'm new to thrift and trying to figure out a system architecture.

I need to have a client do RPCs to a central server, and then have the server stream data to the client as needed.  Basically the client is a GUI with user interactions, plus real time data updates.

How would I structure that in thrift?  I think that OneWay only applies from client to server (correct?).

The only think I can think of is to have the client also be a server and then the server would send OneWay messages to it (making it also be a client).  That sounds really messy...

Thanks,
-Dan

Re: Streaming data to the client?

Posted by Richard Salz <rs...@us.ibm.com>.
> The only think I can think of is to have the client also be a server
> and then the server would send OneWay messages to it (making it also
> be a client).

That's it.

Thrift is really a client/server RPC system.  If you want peer-to-peer,
you might want to look elsewhere.

        /r$

--
STSM, WebSphere Appliance Architect