Posted to dev@pig.apache.org by Olga Natkovich <ol...@yahoo-inc.com> on 2011/06/23 02:56:42 UTC

[VOTE] Release Pig 0.9.0 (candidate 0)

I have created a candidate build for Pig 0.9.0 release. This release introduces control structures, changes query parser, and performs semantic cleanup.

The rat report showed no issues in Java files outside of build directory.

Keys used to sign the release are available at http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/pig/trunk/KEYS?view=markup.

Please try it out:

http://people.apache.org/~olga/pig-0.9.0-candidate-0/

Build is also available in maven: https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachepig-042/org/apache/pig/pig/0.9.0/

Should we release this? Vote closes on Monday, June 27.

Olga

Re: [DISCUSS] Release Pig 0.9.0 (candidate 0)

Posted by Jonathan Coveney <jc...@gmail.com>.
Just to weigh in, fixing the hardcoded hdfs would be excellent. Making it so
that pig could work easily with other DFS is going to be more and more
important until the trunk hadoop becomes the standard (if ever!)

Posted by Dmitriy Ryaboy <dv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alan Gates <ga...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Agreed, same with including a pig-withouthadoop jar.  We do publish
such a jar already in maven.  This is a non-critical (by which I mean
it doesn't cause failure or wrong results, not that it isn't
important) issue and there is not agreement yet on whether the without
jar should be included in the tar ball.  So we shouldn't hold a
release for it.

Alan.

Posted by Dmitriy Ryaboy <dv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Richa Khandelwal <ri...@maprtech.com>.
Hi Guys,

Posted by Scott Carey <sc...@richrelevance.com>.
Except for data analysts who use it to actually sample a portion of
partially processed data into something like R.  I'll certainly be using a
patched release if this is not in.  Is there plans to do a bugfix release
for 0.9?  Or is the general feeling that a short cycle 0.10 is likely?

Posted by Olga Natkovich <ol...@yahoo-inc.com>.
My experience with sample command is that people use it for some quick testing and debugging not for production problems. This issue has been there since the initial introduction of sample. I still don't see a strong need to hold the beta release for it.

Olga

There is a workaround - turning off optimizations, or at least pushUpFilter. I haven't checked 8 with the new logical plan disabled, that may work too.
If this failed execution, I'd let it pass since there is a workaround, but as is it silently returns incorrect data, with no way for an analyst to know her statistics are now fundamentally wrong. Silent and subtle data corruption is just about the wrist big we can have.

Posted by Dmitriy Ryaboy <dv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alan Gates <ga...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Posted by Dmitriy Ryaboy <dv...@gmail.com>.
-1

Posted by Scott Carey <sc...@richrelevance.com>.
I have never once been able to use Pig in production out of the box
because of how it is packaged by default -- including too many of its
dependencies in the jar.  I've complained about it in a couple Jira
tickets related to the output maven artifacts -- it is not a standard
artifact if it bundles any dependencies at all...

In every project I use pig as a Maven artifact I have to use the
withouthadoop variant at minimum, but in most I have to manually make my
own jar rather than simply configure my project to use an official Pig
artifact and compatible downstream dependencies.

I'm happy to keep rebuilding Pig for now -- this is an enhancement request
and not something technically wrong that can block a release.

Posted by Olga Natkovich <ol...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Posted by Thejas M Nair <te...@yahoo-inc.com>.
-1
I think PIG-2144 is a critical bug that needs to be fixed before the release.
I am working on a fix for it.