Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Mark Diggory <md...@gmail.com> on 2011/07/18 18:10:50 UTC

Cocoon 2.2/3.0 and Spring WebMVC

Cocoon Community,

While, possibly unconventional, we are considering the the possibility
of marrying Cocoon and WebMVC in our project to use Cocoon as a View
technology while relying on WebMVC as our Controller/Model framework.
I would like to explore if anyone else out there has approached such a
solution?

Cheers,
Mark

Re: Cocoon 2.2/3.0 and Spring WebMVC

Posted by Mark Diggory <md...@gmail.com>.
Igor and Thorsten,

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 2:48 PM, Igor Malinin <ig...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It not so unconventional. I am thinking about it since long ago, and decided
> to finally do it recently. Not so much progress at this time, but I was able
> to make some basic things running. Handling requests by Spring @Controllers
> and then running pipeline with default Spring ViewResolver. This works, but
> not with Cocoon Reloading ClassLoader - I have EntityManagerFactory
> configured in applicationContext.xml and Reloading ClassLoader recreates it
> on every request and subsequently closes the old instance which is used by
> Spring DispatcherServlet. I configured JRebel, and it serves reloading well
> in the less destructive way to spring context.

Sounds like the reloading classloader is actually running in the
background though? TBH, we've not been able to utilize the rcl at all
with our work due to problems we've had with with
cocoon-servlet-service, thus we approach a the "classical" cocoon
approach with 2.2 without use of blocks atm (hopefully we can correct
this when we adopt 3.0).

I'm very interested in seeing how this works, we may actually want to
be more aggressive about reloading the entire spring context for the
webapp as well as cocoon itself, we also are looking for a means to
reload the spring context on changes to the configuration properties
(currently stored in a properties file but possibly in a database in
the near future)

> I was planning to get back to the Cocoon community when some code is ready
> to show to the public, so you are not alone trying to marry Cocoon and
> Spring MVC and hopefully soon I will be back with something useful (and I
> would like to also marry it with JPA and JAXB (with EclipseLink) and also
> Spring forms/validation to make the full stack).
>
> PS. I am trying it with C3 and S3.

Yes, all these are of interest. we are looking into legacy and JPA
integration via Spring and then just using Cocoon to render the
resulting state to the browser. Basically, we would be replacing the
Cocoon Actions and Flow we currently are using with Spring WebMVC.

Mark

p.s. I will also look at Wicket. Thanks for the advice.

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <sc...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, 2011-07-18 at 09:10 -0700, Mark Diggory wrote:
> Cocoon Community,
>
> While, possibly unconventional, we are considering the the possibility
> of marrying Cocoon and WebMVC in our project to use Cocoon as a View
> technology while relying on WebMVC as our Controller/Model framework.
> I would like to explore if anyone else out there has approached such a
> solution?

Have a look into the wicket integration I guess that comes closest.

salu2
codeBusters S.L. - web based systems
<consulting, training and solutions>
http://www.codebusters.es/

Re: Cocoon 2.2/3.0 and Spring WebMVC

Posted by Gabriel Gruber <Ga...@workflow.at>.
Very Nice!

So you managed to run cocoon 2.2 with Spring 3.0? Can you provide the
community with some hints, or even better supply some patches to a JIRA
issue, so it could be picked up by others and could be integrated in the
next 2.x version (2.3?)

thanx in advance

gabriel

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
Workflow EDV GmbH, Dannebergplatz 6/23, A-1030 Wien
www.workflow.at

From:   kremnef <kr...@gmail.com>
To:     users@cocoon.apache.org
Date:   23.08.2011 13:26
Subject:        Re: Cocoon 2.2/3.0 and Spring WebMVC

Hi Mark

Today I successfully ran cocoon 2.2.1-snapshot and Spring 3.0
I think that some question and problems will be the case.

Posted by kremnef <kr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mark