Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Jerry Malcolm <te...@malcolms.com> on 2019/10/22 19:46:17 UTC

LocalDelivery vs. ToSenderFolder vs. ToRecipientFolder

There are three different mailets that seem to do basically the same
thing which is put mail in a folder.  The folder is different and
consume is different.  ToRecipientFolder and LocalDelivery build a mail
dispatcher, but ToSenderFolder does not.  And all of them hardcode the
folder or get it from an init parm.

I have rules engine mailet that determines the target folder for an
email and sets a header with the folder name.  In my old implementation
I cloned one of the folder mailets (can't remember which one) and stored
the email based on the target folder header.   I'm now getting periodic
errors that folders can't be accessed due to being read-only.  I know
the right solution is to dump what I have and update to use the current
code.  However, I have three implementation mailets to choose from.  Why
do some use mailDispatcher?  Does inbound require a dispatcher and
outbound doesn't?  And more importantly, if I use the mail dispatcher
impl, am I going to hit problems if I change the folder per each email
based on the target folder header?  Or should I just recreate the mail
dispatcher instance on each email?

Thx