Posted to dev@slider.apache.org by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com> on 2015/11/04 11:30:28 UTC

Fwd: Immediate change to git

FYI. Also stops tags being deleted too.

Begin forwarded message:

From: David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>>
Date: 3 November 2015 at 20:40:45 GMT
To: David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>>
Subject: Immediate change to git

Hi folks,

After the many emails you may have seen around Git, I am writing yet another.

To date, on our git repos, we've only 'protected' master, trunk, and
release branches and tags. This has left other branches open to
rewriting, force pushes, and branch deletion.

Recently, we've discovered that many projects (just under 50) have one
or more repos that are using something other than master or trunk as
their main development branch. In some cases this is a 'develop'
branch in others it's more like $project_version which leaves those
branches open to deletion, rewriting, etc.

So today, we're taking an interim step of disabling non-fast-forward
pushes and branch deletion across all of our git repos. I emphasize
interim, as it's a stop-gap measure to get us back to the level of
protection we've set expectations for. I know that this will be
disruptive to many folks' way of operating in their git environment,
so we are hoping to make this interim solution short lived. If your
project has immediate needs that you find are blocked by this, please
do reach out to the Infrastructure team, and we will work to make sure
we can help with a timely workaround for those specific cases.

The longer term solution to this issue may be a policy decision or it
might be a technical solution. I sadly don't know what that solution
will be. We are going to be discussing this on the public
infrastructure-dev mailing list, and I invite you to join us in that
discussion.

--David

Re: Immediate change to git

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.
I've already hit this BTW: you can't rebase a feature locally and then force push the change out; while you can create a new branch, the old one can't be deleted (branches and tags are pretty similar, after all); so we'll end up filling up the branch list with lots of versions.