Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by fchan <fc...@molsci.org> on 2007/12/05 00:50:46 UTC

[users@httpd] Problems with accessing linked NFS directories.

Hi,
I'm having problems with trying to link a directory to an NFS mount
to htdocs directory. I get a Forbidden: You don't have permission to
access /calendar/ on this server.
The file is a in /usr/local/apache/htdocs and here is the ls -l of the link:
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root    root           27 Nov 13 12:07 calendar ->
/mnt/nucleus/share/calendar
Here is the file in /mnt/nucleus/share:
drwxrwxrwx  8   60001 nfsnobody      512 Dec  4 15:25 calendar

Is there reason why cannot access linked directories via NFS in apache?

Thank you,
Frank

Re: [users@httpd] Problems with accessing linked NFS directories.

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Dec 4, 2007 9:28 PM, fchan <fc...@molsci.org> wrote:
> Hi,
> Here is what I get on my error_log:
>
> [Tue Dec 04 15:32:06 2007] [error] [client 209.172.112.207] Symbolic
> link not allowed or link target not accessible:
> /usr/local/apache/htdocs/calendar
> [Tue Dec 04 15:32:09 2007] [error] [client 209.172.112.207] Symbolic
> link not allowed or link target not accessible:
> /usr/local/apache/htdocs/calendar
> [Tue Dec 04 15:33:28 2007] [error] [client 209.172.112.207] Symbolic
> link not allowed or link target not accessible:
> /usr/local/apache/htdocs/calendar

And what don't you understand about that?

Either
a) You have symlinks disabled in httpd.conf (see the Options directive); or
b) Unix permissions deny access to the target of the link to the
apache User/Group.

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] Problems with accessing linked NFS directories.

Posted by fchan <fc...@molsci.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
fchan wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm having problems with trying to link a directory to an NFS mount to
> htdocs directory. I get a Forbidden: You don't have permission to access
> /calendar/ on this server.
> The file is a in /usr/local/apache/htdocs and here is the ls -l of the
> link:
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root    root           27 Nov 13 12:07 calendar ->
> /mnt/nucleus/share/calendar
> Here is the file in /mnt/nucleus/share:
> drwxrwxrwx  8   60001 nfsnobody      512 Dec  4 15:25 calendar
>
> Is there reason why cannot access linked directories via NFS in apache?

Examine the directive Options AllowSymlinks (which speeds up your
server enormously anyways, and should always be considered for
root-controled file spaces.)