Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Donie Kelly <do...@tecnomen.ie> on 2003/06/18 17:28:44 UTC

Log4J under two different webapps

Hi all

I'm using log4j in two webapps, which means I've copied the log4j.jar into
both WEB-INF/lib directory for each webapp. I'm loading a log4j.xml for
configuration from my webapp and this works great when I run the app from
the command line using the tomcat startup scripts. I can vary the settings
in each log4j.xml and see the effect shortly afterwards in my logs for that
webapp.

However, when I run tomcat under a debugger (ide) like Eclipse the behaviour
is different. The logs work OK but if I modify one log4j.xml it affect BOTH
webapps. It's like as if the classloader in tomcat is sharing the log4j.jar
file?

Anybody have any idea why this would happen under an IDE? It was also
observed under Visual Café Expert edition so it's not just an Eclipse
problem.

I'm using Tomcat 4.1.18 and JDK 1.4.1_02-b06 but we've noticed this same
problem with older tomcat's and JDK's.

Thanks for any help
Donie

the sender.