Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Craig Spry <cr...@redflex.com.au> on 2007/05/30 09:59:57 UTC

4.1.2 Cometd Implimentation

I'm looking at adding cometd type functionality to the tapestry
4.1.2-snapshot application that I'm currently developing.  I would like
to do it as follows:

Have only one cometd subscription per page.  This would be bound to a
javascript function that would have the updates sent to it, much like
XHR works at the moment, except in reverse.

Then in the Java code for that page I would have a thread that would
have code in it that would look something like this:

private void poll()
{
	while(true)
	{
		Thread.sleep(1000)
		{
			if(some_condition)
			{

MyTapestryCometdClient.updateComponent('component_id');
			}
		}
	}
}

Where MyTapestryCometdClient would be my implementation to send out the
cometd request to all the waiting javascript functions.

I'm going to use Jetty's implementation of cometd.

What I would like to know is what I'm trying to achieve feasible, can
Tapestry 4.1.2 even be made work with comet?

Has anyone else already got Tapestry to work with cometd?

Or is there a better way to get events from the server to a waiting web
page that doesn't involve polling?

If no one has and I do manage to get it to work, would anyone else be
interested in how I got it to work?

Thanks,
Craig Spry

Re: 4.1.2 Cometd Implimentation

Posted by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com>.
Yes I'd love to get it going Craig.  I'm sure Alex from Dojo and Greg from
jetty would be happy to see it done as well.

I can make myself available to resolve whatever hurdles need moving / etc in
Tapestry to make this happen.

On 5/30/07, Craig Spry <cr...@redflex.com.au> wrote:

> I'm looking at adding cometd type functionality to the tapestry
> 4.1.2-snapshot application that I'm currently developing.  I would like
> to do it as follows:
>
> Have only one cometd subscription per page.  This would be bound to a
> javascript function that would have the updates sent to it, much like
> XHR works at the moment, except in reverse.
>
> Then in the Java code for that page I would have a thread that would
> have code in it that would look something like this:
>
> private void poll()
> {
>         while(true)
>         {
>                 Thread.sleep(1000)
>                 {
>                         if(some_condition)
>                         {
>
> MyTapestryCometdClient.updateComponent('component_id');
>                         }
>                 }
>         }
> }
>
> Where MyTapestryCometdClient would be my implementation to send out the
> cometd request to all the waiting javascript functions.
>
> I'm going to use Jetty's implementation of cometd.
>
> What I would like to know is what I'm trying to achieve feasible, can
> Tapestry 4.1.2 even be made work with comet?
>
> Has anyone else already got Tapestry to work with cometd?
>
> Or is there a better way to get events from the server to a waiting web
> page that doesn't involve polling?
>
> If no one has and I do manage to get it to work, would anyone else be
> interested in how I got it to work?
>
> Thanks,
> Craig Spry

Jesse Kuhnert