Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by "B. Shadgar" <sh...@compsci.bristol.ac.uk> on 2002/08/01 18:24:10 UTC

Property with more than one value

Dear All,

In my application I need to support the properties with more than one
value.  I am not sure about what is the best way to do, whether put an
XML string as value for 'VALUE' attribute in the 'Property' table and
every time ( for each propfind or proppatch)  parse the xml string and
update it, or define a new table to store each item of value as a new
record, or something else.  The database I am using is Oracle 8i and
therefore I can't use of benefits which are provided to parse the XML
value and functionality in Oracle 9i.

I am wondering, if you have any clue about it, and Let me know what is
the best.

Thanks indeed,

Bita.

Re: Property with more than one value

Posted by Christopher Lenz <cm...@gmx.de>.
B. Shadgar wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> In my application I need to support the properties with more than one
> value.  I am not sure about what is the best way to do, whether put an
> XML string as value for 'VALUE' attribute in the 'Property' table and
> every time ( for each propfind or proppatch)  parse the xml string and
> update it, or define a new table to store each item of value as a new
> record, or something else.  The database I am using is Oracle 8i and
> therefore I can't use of benefits which are provided to parse the XML
> value and functionality in Oracle 9i.
>
> I am wondering, if you have any clue about it, and Let me know what is
> the best.

Well, if you want Slide to be able to access those properties you can't
use separate tables (which would be the normal thing to do if you'd be
accessing the db directly, of course). The most natural choice IMHO
would be to use XML fragments, as you said. If that's too heavyweight,
you can still consider using comma-separated string or something like that.

AFAICT, anything other than those two options would require you to write
a custom descriptors-store that knows about your multi-valued
properties, but I suspect it wouldn't be worth the trouble ;)

--
Christopher Lenz
/=/ cmlenz at gmx.de