Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by ½Bî¶ §ºµth£Ñ½ <so...@pipeline.com> on 2004/10/18 08:26:35 UTC

Whitelisting

Hi list! I have tried to get this to work on my server - googling for help,
trying it out, etc. - for the past month or so before I decided to go ahead
& email this mailing list.

I'm trying to whitelist domains on my server (all domains on my server are
my own domains).  I have tried various ways, and I can't seem to get it to
work.  I tried typing at the prompt "spamassassin whitelist_from_rcvd
*@domain.com, I also tried editing the local.cf file, also the user_prefs
file.  I finally tried to put it into the MYSQL db I specified in
local.cf.  None of these efforts worked.

If anyone can give me any pointers on how to set this up, I would
appreciate it SO much.  Thanks a ton.

-Bill

Re: Whitelisting

Posted by Marco Maske <ma...@netcologne.de>.
Matt Kettler wrote:

> >whitelist_from  *@*your.domain
>
> Do not EVER do this. Spammers frequently forge your own domain in the
> From: line, and such email will be automatically whitelisted if you do
> this.
>
> Bad idea. Don't even consider it for a fraction of a second.

Uhh, excuse me. That's a big mistake from me. Thanks for your hint.

In man Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf I've read that now and I've always used:
whitelist_from_rcvd

I using SA with amavis-new and another way to whitelist (your) mydomains
is (in amavisd.conf) :

@bypass_spam_checks_acl = ( "!.$mydomain", "." )

That save time but such mail will not count as ham in SA bayes db.
Therefore I'm using here only:

@bypass_banned_checks_acl = ( "!.$mydomain", "." )

# With Postfix (2.0) a quick reminder on what local domains normally are:
# a union of domains specified in: $mydestination, $virtual_alias_domains,
# $virtual_mailbox_domains, and $relay_domains.
#
@local_domains_acl = ( ".$mydomain" );  # $mydomain and its subdomains

--
Ciao Marco, registered GNU/Linux-User 313353

Re: Whitelisting

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.

Re: Whitelisting

Posted by Marco Maske <ma...@netcologne.de>.

Matt Kettler wrote:
> whitelist_from_rcvd requires *two* parameters...
>
> try:
> whitelist_from_rcvd *@domain.com domain.com
>
> But that will only work if your inside network hosts have RDNS
> hostnames ending in domain.com.

Maybe "whitelist_from" works bether for you:

whitelist_from	user@your.domain
whitelist_from	*@*your.domain

Seen somewhere in the SA docs:
- whitelist_from_rcvd:
Use this to supplement the whitelist_from addresses with a check against
the Received headers. The first parameter is the address to whitelist,
and the second is a string to match the relay's rDNS.
This string is matched against the reverse DNS lookup used during the
handover from the internet to your internal network's mail exchangers. It
can either be the full hostname, or the domain component of that
hostname. In other words, if the host that connected to your MX had an IP
address that mapped to 'sendinghost.spamassassin.org', you should specify
"sendinghost.spamassassin.org" or just "spamassassin.org" here.

--
Ciao Marco, registered GNU/Linux-User 313353

Re: Whitelisting

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@comcast.net>.