Posted to users@jackrabbit.apache.org by MatthiasR <ma...@gmx.at> on 2009/03/10 18:16:52 UTC

Accessing JCR Repository over CIFS

I've already read that there is currently no support for accessing a JCR
repository in Jackrabbit as a windows network folder.

Are there any plans to support that in the future? Or has somebody done any
development for that?

I'm aware of the ability to access a repository via WebDav and Windows Web
Folders, but many programs can't deal with Web Folders (e.g. Adobe
Photoshop, Adobe Indesign etc.). So that's not an option for me.

Alfresco seems to have an implementation for CIFS. Is it possible to use it
on top of Jackrabbit?

Matthias

Re: Accessing JCR Repository over CIFS

Posted by Thomas Müller <th...@day.com>.
Hi,

A commercial alternative is Day CRX, it is based on Apache Jackrabbit
and supports CIFS: http://www.day.com/crx (disclosure: I do work for
Day, but I didn't develop the CIFS part).

Regards,
Thomas

Posted by Dennis van der Laan <d....@rug.nl>.
Hi,

--
Dennis van der Laan

Re: Accessing JCR Repository over CIFS

Posted by MatthiasR <ma...@gmx.at>.

Alexander Klimetschek wrote:

> Recent windows (since XP) allow webdav to be mounted as a "real" file
> system and I think there are also other 3rdparty webdav clients doing
> that [1]. This way all applications can work with it.
>
> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebDAV#Microsoft_Windows

Thanks for the tip!

But... It doesn't work, at least not on my pc. I keep getting the error
"System error 67 has occurred. The network name cannot be found."
The "WebClient" service is running and I have XP SP3, so I guess it should
connect. Might be, that using the 8082 port is the problem, but this problem
should have been fixed in SP3:
http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/webdav-redirector-list.html

This kind of issues is why a "real" windows network drive via CIFS would be
interesting.

Posted by Alexander Klimetschek <ak...@day.com>.
On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 6:16 PM, MatthiasR <ma...@gmx.at> wrote:
> I'm aware of the ability to access a repository via WebDav and Windows Web
> Folders, but many programs can't deal with Web Folders (e.g. Adobe
> Photoshop, Adobe Indesign etc.). So that's not an option for me.

Recent windows (since XP) allow webdav to be mounted as a "real" file
system and I think there are also other 3rdparty webdav clients doing
that [1]. This way all applications can work with it.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebDAV#Microsoft_Windows

Regards,
Alex

--