Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Kevin Dockett <kd...@vip.net> on 2003/11/10 06:50:01 UTC

[users@httpd] Peculiar Problem

Be gentle I am a newbie!!
OK the problem is this, I have  RH9 box running Apache 2.
Main server foo.com
Virtual servers foo1.com foo2.com foo3.com

When accessing the web pages from my ISP's group of IP's (13x.x.x.x)
everything works as it should, all web pages appear as requested, but when
accessing from others (for example a box on shaw.ca  IP 2x.x.x.x) the only
page that is shown is that of foo.com.

Access logs show requests for the correct page....but they do not appear.
And yes the cache was cleared on the machines in question

I am behind a firewall and the IP is correctly dealt with by the firewall.
Would appreciate any suggestions or ideas from the gurus

Thank you in advance
Kevin

Re: [users@httpd] Peculiar Problem

Posted by Robert Andersson <ro...@profundis.nu>.
Kevin Dockett wrote:
> When accessing the web pages from my ISP's group of IP's (13x.x.x.x)
> everything works as it should, all web pages appear as requested, but
> when accessing from others (for example a box on shaw.ca  IP 2x.x.x.x)
> the only page that is shown is that of foo.com.

That's odd. I see two possible reasons:

1) Requests from outside your subnet ends up on an interface (IP) that
   Apache do not use for name-based virtual hosts.
   That is, NameVirtualHost isn't set for the IP that these requests come
   to. If you don't already have it, try "NameVirtualHost *", and also have
   "<VirtualHost *>" for all of yours.

2) Somehow the Host: header gets lost when travelling from outside the
   subnet to your box. No idea why that would happen, but perhaps a
   broken proxy might do it. I suggest you use a network sniffer
   (http://www.ethereal.com/) to see how the requests from outside the
   subnet look. If they lack a Host: header, it may be a proxy in your
   ISP's net that mess around with the requests. However, it may also be
   due to how the DNS for these domain names work. Some of these
   providers, use some sort of forwarding where they redirect the client
   to an IP, in which case the Host: header is lost.

Regards,
Robert Andersson