Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by maou <ma...@ics.forth.gr> on 2001/11/14 13:51:07 UTC

QUESTION on how to dynamically pass XSLT from the generator to a transformet

Hello,
We are trying to use cocoon to develop a web service.

After reading the cocoon documentation I have concluded that the XSLT
that is used by a transformer must be statically declared in the sitemap
file.
What we want to do is at run time, generate an XSLT in the generator or
in a XSP tag and then pass this XSLT to the next element in the
pipeline, a transformer, to be used.

So the pipeline should work as follows
1)Generator reads the XML page
2)Generator generates programmatically an XSLT
3)Generator passes the XSLT to the first transformer in the pipeline.

We assume that the XSLT will be generated inside a user defined XSP tag.

I have the following questions
1)Do we have to write our own generator to do that??
2)Do we have to write our own transformer??
3)Does cocoon provides APIs for doing what we want to do??

Any suggestions of how to programmatically pass an XSLT from the
generator to a transformer, are wellcomed.

Napoleon

Re: QUESTION on how to dynamically pass XSLT from the generator to a transformet

Posted by David Rosenstrauch <da...@dti.net>.
There's an unrelated FAQ question that might help your problem too:

"How do I create some content which isn't directly visible to everyone?
Put the content in an internal pipeline...

<map:pipelines>
<map:pipeline internal-only="true">
<map:match pattern="int">
<map:generate src="docs/description.xml"/>
<map:serialize type="xml"/>
</map:match>
</map:pipeline>
<map:pipeline>
<map:match pattern="desc.html">
<map:generate src="cocoon:/int"/>
<map:transform src="stylesheets/description2html.xsl"/>
<map:serialize type="html"/>
</map:match>
</map:pipeline>
</map:pipelines>
"

Maybe you can do something like this:

<map:pipeline>
<map:match pattern="xxx.html">
<map:generate src="xxx.xml"/>
<map:transform src="cocoon:/int"/>
<map:serialize type="html"/>
</map:match>
</map:pipeline>

Then have the "int" internal pipeline generate your stuff on the fly.

HTH.

DR