Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by ant elder <an...@apache.org> on 2008/10/30 10:14:01 UTC

[VOTE] Accepting Kato into the Incubator

The Kato proposal has been out for discussion for a few weeks now,
please vote on accepting the Kato project for incubation.

The full Kato proposal is available at the end of this message and as
a wiki page at http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/KatoProposal.

Here is my +1

   ...ant

= Kato - Post-mortem JVM Diagnostics API and RI/TCK for JSR 326 =

Abstract

Kato is a project to develop the Specification, Reference
Implementation and Technology Compatibility Kit for JSR 326:
Post-mortem JVM Diagnostics API
Proposal

JSR 326 is intended to be a Java API specification for standardising
how and what can be retrieved from the contents of post-mortem
artefacts -- typically process and JVM dumps. Project Kato is intended
to be the place where the Specification, Reference implementation (RI)
and Technology Compatibility Kit (TCK) are openly created. The
intention is that the Specification and RI will be developed in tight
unison, guided by a user-story-focused approach to ensure that
real-world problems drive the project from the beginning.

Unusually for new APIs, this project will endeavour to encompass the
old and the new. A diagnostic solution that only works when users move
to the latest release does little to improve diagnosability in the
short term. This project will consume existing dump artefacts as well
as possible while developing an API that can address the emerging
trends in JVM and application directions. The most obvious of these
trends are the exploitation of very large heaps, alternative languages
and, paradoxically for Java, the increased use of native memory
through vehicles such as NIO.
Background

Post-mortem versus Live Monitoring: It's worth noting that the term
"post mortem" is used loosely. It does not just imply dead JVMs and
applications; JSR 326 also covers living, breathing applications where
the dump artefacts are deliberately produced as part of live
monitoring activity. Live monitoring generally means tracing,
profiling, debugging, or even bytecode monitoring and diagnosis by
agents via the java.lang.instrument API . It can also mean analysis of
dumps to look for trends and gather statistics. The live-monitoring
diagnostic space is well served except for this last area, which is
where JSR 326 can help.

IBM developed an API called DTFJ ("Diagnostic Tooling and Framework
for Java") as a means of providing its support teams a basis on which
to write tools to diagnose Java SDK and Java application faults. It
consists of a native JVM-specific component and the DTFJ API, which
was written in pure Java.
Rationale

JSR 326 exists because of the widely acknowledged limitations in
diagnosing Java application problems after the fact. There are many
good ways to understand and diagnose problems while they happen, but
few credible or pervasive tools exist for helping resolve problems
when all has gone suddenly and horribly wrong. Outside of "live
monitoring" there is no standard way to provide diagnostics
information, and hence no standard tools. Each tool writer has to
figure out how to access the data individually and specifically for
each JVM vendor and operating system. This sparsity of tools has meant
that users have limited options in diagnosing their own problems,
especially unexpected or intermittent failures. Consequently these
users turn to the providers of their software to work out what is
happening. Application, middleware, and JVM vendors are spending
increasing time supporting customers in problem diagnosis. Emerging
trends indicate that this is going to get worse.

Today JVM heap sizes are measured in small numbers of gigabytes,
processors on desktops come in twos or fours, and most applications
running on a JVM are written in Java. To help analyse problems in
these configurations, we use a disparate set of diagnostic tools and
artefacts. If the problem can't be reproduced in a debugger, then
things quickly get complicated. There are point tools for problems
like deadlock analysis or the ubiquitous Java out-of-memory problems,
but overall the Java diagnostic tools arena is fragmented and JVM- or
OS-specific. Tool writers have to choose their place in this matrix.
We want to change that by removing the need for tool writers to make a
choice. By enabling tool writers to easily target all the major JVM
vendors and operating systems, we expect the number and capability of
diagnostic tools to greatly increase. Tomorrow it gets harder; heap
sizes hit 100's of gigabytes, processors come packaged in powers of
16, and the JVM commonly executes a wide range of language
environments. We can't tackle tomorrow's problems until we have a
platform to address today's.

This project is about bringing together people and ideas to create
that platform, and we can't think of a better place to do that than in
Apache.
Initial Goals

The code donated by IBM will not be a complete solution as the
JVM-specific portion will be missing. The initial goals will be to
close this gap by creating equivalent open-source replacements. We
plan to create code to be able to understand a dump related to the
Apache Harmony Dynamic Runtime Layer Virtual Machine (DRLVM). We also
intend to create an HPROF dump format reader.

After that the expectation is that we work to produce ways to better
understand the contents of a process dump. This will allow the work on
solving native out-of-memory problems to proceed.
Current Status
Meritocracy

We appreciate how important it is to create and maintain a healthy
environment based on meritocracy. We will do all we can to ensure that
all opportunities to contribute are visible and that contributions are
rewarded appropriately.
Community

In developing a standard it's tempting to get into an small group,
write a specification, and then present it to the world. We do not
want to do that. We strongly believe that any software interface
standard should be developed in as visible a way as possible and show
that it has taken the views of the industry into account. We see that
the best way to do that for JSR 326 is to develop the specification
and implementation in unison, in the open. The JSR expert group is
intended to represent the industry, while the RI and example tools
will demonstrate the specification's usefulness and applicability. The
specification will be developed by incrementally proposing problem
statements, constructing specification changes, implementing them
within the RI, and demonstrating practicability with example tools.
The JSR specification mailing list will be open to everyone to see and
contribute to.

The technology that is outlined by this proposal serves to bring
standardisation to a fragmented area. We hope and expect that
developing this technology will attract the right folks and that a
community of data providers and data consumers will develop around it.
We are already building relationships with existing tool writers, with
the intention of understanding what they need and showing, by their
adoption of this API, that we've got it right.
Known Risks
Orphaned Products

The development of, and continuing support for, this project is
important to a number of companies. There is no risk of this code
being suddenly abandoned.
Inexperience with Open Source

There is a mixed level of experience with Open Source.
Homogeneous Developers

The initial list of committers consists of developers from IBM and one
independent. The committers are based in Europe. There is a general
level of experience in working in a distributed way. There will be
more more developers from other companies joining but they have not
yet officially confirmed their participation.
Reliance on Salaried Developers

Most of the developers are paid by their employer to contribute to
this project. However the subject matter of this project holds a
fascination for many people and over time we expect to see more
volunteers contributing.
Relationships with Other Apache Products

Currently the initial seed code uses the Ant build tool only. The need
for a suitable open-source JVM from which to harvest dumps, and to
explore ways to understand them, requires that this project forge good
links with the Apache Harmony project. Since this project is about
standardising content and access methods, opportunities also exist to
explore closer links with search technologies such as Lucene. There is
also potential for the semantics of other Apache projects that use
Java, such as Struts or Felix, to be exposed using Kato. For example,
a module could be written that describes loaded classes in terms of
OSGi bundles instead of just class loaders. It is also possible that
the Apache Harmony project may want an implementation of Kato.

Generally we see this project as helping other Apache projects simply
because we are improving the diagnostic capabilities of Java. We will
welcome all types of diagnostic problem statement and dumps from other
Apache projects.
An Excessive Fascination with the Apache Brand

Kato is about creating an API and a community of data providers and
data consumers. Creating this API requires that both groups work
together as openly as possible.

In fact, Kato lives or dies by the strength of its community. We
believe that there is mutual benefit to the project and to the Apache
brand if this work is carried out as an Apache project. The project
gains by being seen to be serious in its objectives of maintaining a
fair, inclusive and equitable approach. Apache benefits from the
acceptance of a project that we hope will push technical boundaries
and grow to be a community of reasonable size.
Documentation

Information about JSR 326 is available at

[WWW] http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=326

Information on IBM's DTFJ can be found at

[WWW] http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/javasdk/v6r0/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.java.doc.diagnostics.60/html/dtfj.html
Initial Source

IBM will donate its Diagnostic Tool Framework for Java (DTFJ)
technology as a seed for development. This codebase consists of
diagnostic dump readers and the data access API. There are data
providers for DTFJ that are specific and proprietary to IBM JVMs;
these providers will not be open-sourced. DTFJ is being donated to
kick start the project and as a foundation on which to build and
develop our ideas. There is no expectation that the final output must
resemble this seed offering.
Source and Intellectual Property Submission Plan

Apache would receive all source and documentation under the Apache
Corporate Contributor agreement. IBM is the only license holder.
External Dependencies

Ant and JUnit are the only external dependencies.
Cryptography
Required Resources
Mailing Lists

    *

      kato-private
    *

      kato-dev
    *

      kato-spec

Subversion Directory

    *

      [WWW] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/kato

Issue Tracking

    *

      JIRA : Kato (KATO)

Other Resources
Initial Committers

Steve Poole spoole at uk dot ibm dot com

Stuart Monteith monteith at uk dot ibm dot com

Carmine Cristello cristallo at uk dot ibm dot com

Richard Cole rich dot cole at uk dot ibm dot com

Christian Glatschke christian at glatschke dot com

Sonal Goyal sonalgoyal4 at gmail dot com
Affiliations

The initial committers listed are affiliated with IBM and self.
Champion

Geir Magnusson Jr has agreed to be Champion
Proposed Apache Sponsor

Incubator PMC

Nominated Mentors
Geir has volunteered to be a mentor.
Ant Elder

Re: [VOTE] Accepting Kato into the Incubator

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 3:02 PM, Craig L Russell <Cr...@sun.com> wrote:
> +1

+1

> Good to see JSRs developed completely in the open.

+1

- robert

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
+1

[RESULT][VOTE] Accepting Kato into the Incubator

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
This vote has been open for a week now so I'm going to call it PASSED with
19 +1s and no other votes.

Votes from the following, binding ones marked with a *:

 Carmine Cristallo
 Konstantin Bobrovsky
*Ant Elder
*Geir Magnusson Jr.
*Niclas Hedhman
 Niklas Gustavsson
*Matthias Wessendorf
 Christian Glatschke
*Craig L Russell
 Tim Ellison
*Alan D. Cabrera
 Steve Poole
 Sonal Goyal
 Stuart Monteith
 Edward J. Yoon
*Roland Weber
*Robert Burrell Donkin
*Niall Pemberton
 Richard Cole

Congratulations Kato and best wishes for the Incubation.

   ...ant

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
+1

Posted by Steve Poole <sp...@googlemail.com>.
On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 10:40 AM, ant elder <an...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 12:13 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin <
> robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 10:45 AM, Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net>
> wrote:

> > > That list looks a bit short, but +1 anyway. (binding)
> >
> > i'm willing to be added as a mentor if this is a problem and kato are
> > happy to have me

We sure are happy to have you.  Thanks Robert.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net>.
ant elder wrote:
> The Kato proposal has been out for discussion for a few weeks now,
> please vote on accepting the Kato project for incubation.
>
> [...]
> = Kato - Post-mortem JVM Diagnostics API and RI/TCK for JSR 326 =
> [...]
>
> Nominated Mentors
> Geir has volunteered to be a mentor.
> Ant Elder

That list looks a bit short, but +1 anyway. (binding)

cheers,
  Roland

Re: [VOTE] Accepting Kato into the Incubator

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
+1

it would be good to see collaboration with the Harmony project, at least
as a provider of VM diagnostic information.

Tim

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
+1

Regards,
Alan

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
+1

Niall

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
+1

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 10:59 AM, Niklas Gustavsson
<ni...@protocol7.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 10:14 AM, ant elder <an...@apache.org> wrote:
>> The Kato proposal has been out for discussion for a few weeks now,
>> please vote on accepting the Kato project for incubation.
>
> +1 (non-binding). Always great to see JSRs working in the open.
>
> /niklas

Matthias Wessendorf

twitter: http://twitter.com/mwessendorf

Re: [VOTE] Accepting Kato into the Incubator

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.

Posted by Sonal Goyal <so...@gmail.com>.
+1

Thanks and Regards,
Sonal

Posted by Steve Poole <sp...@googlemail.com>.
+1   (of course!)

Thanks

Steve

Re: [VOTE] Accepting Kato into the Incubator

Posted by Christian Glatschke <ch...@glatschke.com>.
+1

Cheers
Christian Glatschke

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 5:14 PM, ant elder <an...@apache.org> wrote:

> The full Kato proposal is available at the end of this message and as
> a wiki page at http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/KatoProposal.

+1

Cheers
Niclas