Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com> on 2013/07/19 17:32:29 UTC

[DISCUSS] Bylaw changes for new committer / new PMC member votes

As it stands now, we currently use a "Lazy Consensus" model (yes Noah, I
know we didn't define that term correctly as of now, but I think that's
a different discussion).  We currently have that term defined as:

> Lazy Consensus - Lazy consensus requires 3 binding +1 votes and no
> binding -1 votes.

I'd like to propose that we change the PMC and committer voting rule to
use the Lazy 2/3 Majority approach defined as:

> Lazy 2/3 majority votes requires at least 3 binding votes and twice as
> many binding +1 votes as binding -1 votes.

Are there any objections to me starting a VOTE on this change?

Re: [DISCUSS] Bylaw changes for new committer / new PMC member votes

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.
On Fri, Jul 19, 2013, at 10:32 AM, Chip Childers wrote:
> Are there any objections to me starting a VOTE on this change?

Even though I occasionally disagree with the outcome of the current
bylaws, I think there's value in having a "veto" over adding committers
or PMC members. I'd be -1 to this.

Best,

jzb
--
Joe Brockmeier
jzb@zonker.net

Re: [DISCUSS] Bylaw changes for new committer / new PMC member votes

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Yes, ignoring our egregious mis-use of that term, I am +1 on your idea.
Though, perhaps 3/4 is safer.

Consensus is important, yes. But the bigger the PMC, the harder it is to
achieve. And more often than not, I see no reason to block an action when a
supermajority are clearly in favour of it. Let's not trade hard-nosed
consensus for sclerosis.

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.
On Fri, Jul 19, 2013, at 10:32 AM, Chip Childers wrote:
> As it stands now, we currently use a "Lazy Consensus" model (yes Noah, I
> know we didn't define that term correctly as of now, but I think that's
> a different discussion).  We currently have that term defined as:

I would be in favor of defining it correctly, though. :-)

Best,

jzb

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 11:32 AM, Chip Childers
<ch...@sungard.com> wrote:
> As it stands now, we currently use a "Lazy Consensus" model (yes Noah, I
> know we didn't define that term correctly as of now, but I think that's
> a different discussion).  We currently have that term defined as:
>
>> Lazy Consensus - Lazy consensus requires 3 binding +1 votes and no
>> binding -1 votes.
>
> I'd like to propose that we change the PMC and committer voting rule to
> use the Lazy 2/3 Majority approach defined as:
>
>> Lazy 2/3 majority votes requires at least 3 binding votes and twice as
>> many binding +1 votes as binding -1 votes.
>
> Are there any objections to me starting a VOTE on this change?

So despite this arising from a discussion I originated, I am not sure
I want to see this go away. As frustrating as it is to, we are a
community built on consensus, and even if we can't get that around
adding PMC and committer votes, I am not sure that it's wise to add
new folks. Requiring no dissent is a powerful enabler for individuals,
even if it occasionally thwarts the will of the majority. Having seen
other projects with a majority rules approach to this, I don't see
them as better off. While  I might disagree with some of my fellow PMC
members, I still respect their decision, and hope that when I am the
person casting a -1, they'll respect mine as well.

--David

Re: [DISCUSS] Bylaw changes for new committer / new PMC member votes

Posted by Mathias Mullins <ma...@citrix.com>.
I know, was a jokeŠ But they are also a representative of the project to
the board and externally as well.

Matt

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by Mathias Mullins <ma...@citrix.com>.
I guess my thought is that if you are going to strengthen the rules for
PMC then the Chair should be as well.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

--
NS

Re: [DISCUSS] Bylaw changes for new committer / new PMC member votes

Posted by Mathias Mullins <ma...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.