Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Joel Welling <we...@psc.edu> on 2008/09/23 20:41:13 UTC

Problems increasing number of tasks per node

Hi folks;
  I have a small cluster, but each node is big- 8 cores each, with lots
of IO bandwidth.  I'd like to increase the number of simultaneous map
and reduce tasks scheduled per node from the default of 2 to something
like 8.
  My understanding is that I should be able to do this by increasing
mapred.tasktracker.reduce.tasks.maximum and
mapred.tasktracker.map.tasks.maximum , but doing so does not increase
the number of tasks.  I've been running gridmix with these parameters
set to 4, but the average number of tasks per node stays at 4, with 2
reduce and 2 map.
  Am I missing something?  Do I need to adjust something else as well?

Thanks,
-Joel
 welling@psc.edu

Re: Problems increasing number of tasks per node- really a task management problem!

Posted by Joel Welling <we...@psc.edu>.
I think I've found my problem.  At some point about a week ago, I must
have tried to start new tasktracker processes on my worker nodes without
killing the ones that were already there.  The new processes died
immediately because their sockets were already in use.  The old
processes then took over their roles, running happily with new
JobTrackers and doing tasks as requested.  The pid files that are
supposed to point to the tasktrackers did not contain their pids,
however, and 'bin/stop-mapred.sh' chooses its targets from the pid
files.  So I could do 'bin/stop-mapred.sh' all day long without killing
them.  I ended up killing them explicitly one node at a time.

These tasktrackers knew the *old* config values that were in force when
they were started, so pushing the new values out to the worker nodes had
no effect.

So.  Is there any mechanism for killing 'rogue' tasktrackers?  I'm a
little surprised that they are killed via their pids rather than by
sending them a kill signal via the same mechanism whereby they learn of
new work.

-Joel
 welling@psc.edu

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Posted by Joel Welling <we...@psc.edu>.
Stopping and restarting the mapred service should push the new .xml file
out, should it not?  I've done 'bin/mapred-stop.sh',
'bin/mapred-start.sh', and I can see my new values in the
file:.../mapred/system/job_SomeNumber_SomeNumber/job.xml files
associated with the jobs.  The mapred.tasktracker.map.tasks.maximum
values shown in those files are 8, but each worker node tasktracker
still uses the value 2.  What file should contain the xml for the
tasktracker itself?  Does the maximum map task number get set when the
task tracker is spawned, or can a new job reset the number?

Thanks,
-Joel

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@yahoo-inc.com>.