Posted to dev@livy.apache.org by Alex Bozarth <aj...@us.ibm.com> on 2017/07/12 18:44:12 UTC

Feedback needed: Inital website import with move to apache git

Hey all,

I was talking with Luciano about our initial import of the livy.io website
code to the apache/incubator-livy-website repo and we realized there were a
few options to go with and we should decide via the email list. I'll list
out the options I see, but if anyone has any other ideas feel free to raise
them.

Currently the livy.io website code lives in the gh-pages branch of the livy
repo. This branch includes a branch of the livy code from when the website
was first created, same as where branch-0.2 branched off master, and thus
all its git history. The actual website code was written by @jkestelyn
through 13 commits on top of the branch of livy (plus an initial commit by
Kostas Sakellis and a later bug fix by Jon Alter). From this I found three
initial code import options:

1. Directly import the gh-pages branch of livy with it's entire git log.
This would include a history of all the livy 0.2 contributions the website
git repo as well as the website code's git history. We could then open
clean up PRs to remove the livy code.

2. Copy over just the website code in an initial commit without it's git
history and give credit to @jkestelyn for the inital import since he wrote
it. This would leave out the original git history, but also keep a clean
git history to start.

3. Try to munge the git history to remove all the commits prior to the
website ones so we can import the branch with it's history but without the
livy code. This may not even be possible and would potentially be a lot of
work with little reward in the end.

I would also like to point out that this question is only about the initial
import. We would follow up on this import with PRs updating the actual
website code for our move to apache.

 Alex Bozarth
 Software Engineer
 Spark Technology Center

 E-mail: ajbozart@us.ibm.com
 GitHub: github.com/ajbozarth
                                                                   505 Howard Street
                                                             San Francisco, CA 94105
                                                                       United States

Re: Feedback needed: Inital website import with move to apache git

Posted by Alex Bozarth <aj...@us.ibm.com>.
It looks good to me, personally I'd like if you could grab Jon's commit so
he gets credit, but we'll be changing those links in a future update anyway
but if you cant, LGTM.

 Alex Bozarth
 Software Engineer
 Spark Technology Center

 E-mail: ajbozart@us.ibm.com
 GitHub: github.com/ajbozarth
                                                                   505 Howard Street
                                                             San Francisco, CA 94105
                                                                       United States

From:	Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>
To:	dev@livy.incubator.apache.org
Date:	07/12/2017 01:29 PM
Subject:	Re: Feedback needed: Inital website import with move to apache
            git

Please take a quick look at the attempt to import only the website history
(looks like Jon's commit failed to import):

https://github.com/lresende/incubator-livy-website-temp

If this looks ok, I can push to Apache website master

--
Luciano Resende
http://twitter.com/lresende1975

Re: Feedback needed: Inital website import with move to apache git

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Bozarth <aj...@us.ibm.com>.

From:	Marcelo Vanzin <va...@cloudera.com>
To:	dev@livy.incubator.apache.org