Posted to dev@perl.apache.org by Dave Rolsky <au...@urth.org> on 2002/05/17 22:21:08 UTC

MODPERL_LIBPERL

I noticed that this is set via this code in Apache::Build ...

    print $fh $self->canon_make_attr('libperl',
                                     join '/',
                                     $self->perl_config('archlibexp'),
                                     'CORE',
                                     $self->perl_config('libperl'));

But at least on my debian system there is no libperl.so at that location.
It's in /usr/lib instead.

Is this a problem with the assumptions in the Apache::Build code or is it
a Debian problem?

-dave

/*==================
www.urth.org
we await the New Sun

Re: MODPERL_LIBPERL

Posted by Dave Rolsky <au...@urth.org>.
On Fri, 17 May 2002, Doug MacEachern wrote:

> > It's in /usr/lib instead.
>
> that is bogus.  why do they do that?

I dunno.  I can file a bug against the package.

> > Is this a problem with the assumptions in the Apache::Build code or is it
> > a Debian problem?
>
> debian.  we could probably adjust to that broken layout, but personally
> would much rather see debian put libperl in the right place to prevent
> future problems.  for example, if one were to install perl 5.8.0 with
> ithreads enabled, perl will install libperl into the place where
> Apache::Build is looking.  but the runtime linker may look in /usr/lib
> first, kaboom.

I will complain to the revelant Debian folks.

-dave

/*==================
www.urth.org
we await the New Sun

Re: MODPERL_LIBPERL

Posted by Doug MacEachern <do...@covalent.net>.
On Fri, 17 May 2002, Dave Rolsky wrote:

> I noticed that this is set via this code in Apache::Build ...
>

>     print $fh $self->canon_make_attr('libperl',
>                                      join '/',
>                                      $self->perl_config('archlibexp'),
>                                      'CORE',
>                                      $self->perl_config('libperl'));
>
> But at least on my debian system there is no libperl.so at that location.

perl -V:libperl (libperl.a, libperl.so, perl58.lib, etc) should always be
in that location.