Posted to user@poi.apache.org by bestfrieend <wa...@hotmail.com> on 2015/11/23 10:02:46 UTC

Re: Reading Excel 5.0/7.0 files

when i try to run jexcel api on excel 95 files it throws the following
exception

java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: 120

can anyone please tell me how to read older excel files?

Thanks,

Wasif

Re: Reading Excel 5.0/7.0 files

Posted by Nick Burch <ap...@gagravarr.org>.
On Mon, 23 Nov 2015, bestfrieend wrote:
> can anyone please tell me how to read older excel files?

Apache POI doesn't have any high-level APIs for working with the older
Excel file formats.

If you just want the textual contents, then there's
org.apache.poi.hssf.extractor.OldExcelExtractor which will pull out the
text and numbers from the file

If you need the values in specific cells, then you'll need to take an
approach a bit like OldExcelExtractor, process the file at the record
level, and check for the co-ordinates on OldStringRecord, NumberRecord,
OldFormulaRecord and friends

Nick