Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Szehon Ho <sz...@cloudera.com> on 2014/07/01 06:20:57 UTC

Re: Column selection in Hive

Why dont you just use CTAS (Create table as select), putting the 190
columns in the select part?  I guess you're maybe asking for any way to not
have to type all the columns, but I'm not aware of any.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/LanguageManual+DDL#LanguageManualDDL-CreateTableAsSelect(CTAS)

Re: Column selection in Hive

Posted by Lefty Leverenz <le...@gmail.com>.
Here's the wikidoc for dropping columns with ALTER TABLE ... REPLACE
COLUMNS:  Add/Replace Columns
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/LanguageManual+DDL#LanguageManualDDL-Add/ReplaceColumns>.
 But you'd still have to list 190 columns, so CTAS would be more direct.
AFAIK, HiveQL doesn't have syntax for DROP COLUMN.

-- Lefty

Re: Column selection in Hive

Posted by Sarfraz Ramay <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,