Posted to user@whirr.apache.org by a b <au...@yahoo.com> on 2013/08/07 21:18:35 UTC

why is whirr.bootstrap-user needed in a private ami, but not in a public one?

whirr.bootstrap-user=ubuntu
whirr.private-key-file=/home/ab/whirr/autohandleubuntu-12-64.pem
whirr.public-key-file=/home/ab/whirr/autohandleubuntu-12-64.pem.pub

can you edit a private ami - so it is not needed?

Re: why is whirr.bootstrap-user needed in a private ami, but not in a public one?

Posted by a b <au...@yahoo.com>.
i changed my private ami permission from private to public and tried to launch it from whirr and i got the
Invalid packet: indicated length 134928112
error - so just making it public is not enough - there must be something other tag required - i put ubuntu in the name, but it could have got that from the platform attribute, so it shouldn't make a difference.

I think jclouds pulls the user info from the EC2 api and so knows for EC2 AMIs to use the ubuntu user, etc, but for other AMIs, it needs to be explicit. I could be wrong about the details.

A.

Posted by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>.