Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com> on 2008/03/28 12:24:45 UTC

[classlib][archive] Non-UTF8 character in manifest during confluence startup (HARMONY-5662)

I just committed code in this area (at r641928) so it may indeed be a
regression.  Looking...

Regards,
Tim

Re: [classlib][archive] Non-UTF8 character in manifest during confluence startup (HARMONY-5662)

Posted by Alexei Zakharov <al...@gmail.com>.
Yes Tim, I've also noticed this your commit (that was AFAIU a part of
HARMONY-4569). So here comes an updated stack trace :-)

SEVERE: Error in dependencyCheck
Throwable occurred: java.io.IOException: NUL character in a manifest
        at java.util.jar.InitManifest.readValue(InitManifest.java:173)
        at java.util.jar.InitManifest.readHeader(InitManifest.java:117)
        at java.util.jar.InitManifest.<init>(InitManifest.java:56)
        at java.util.jar.Manifest.read(Manifest.java:211)
        at java.util.jar.Manifest.<init>(Manifest.java:115)
[...]
Mar 28, 2008 3:04:08 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start

I'm currently looking for the jar file and its manifest that caused the problem.

Regards,
Alexei

Posted by Alexei Zakharov <al...@gmail.com>.
Seems my attachment was lost. Please it attached to HARMONY-5662.

Thanks,
Alexei

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.
Thank you Alexei!

--
With best regards,
Alexei

Re: [classlib][archive] Non-UTF8 character in manifest during confluence startup (HARMONY-5662)

Posted by Alexei Zakharov <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.
Hello Alexei, Tim,

--
With best regards,
Alexei

Re: [classlib][archive] Non-UTF8 character in manifest during confluence startup (HARMONY-5662)

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.
Ok, I found a way to localize this hack in one place. This requires my
ByteBuffer to return an actual ByteBuffer instead of byte[]. This may
be an answer to Tim's naming concern.

--
With best regards,
Alexei

Re: [classlib][archive] Non-UTF8 character in manifest during confluence startup (HARMONY-5662)

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
Alexei Fedotov wrote:
> Yes, it is possible to avoid throwing exception for such case, though
> it would be clearly a hack. Before hacking the code I want to
> understand why should not we fix the root of the problem, i.e. the
> buggy manifest.

The simple answer is to be compatible with the way the RI behaves.
Also, we don't control the source of this manifest.

Regards,
Tim

Re: [classlib][archive] Non-UTF8 character in manifest during confluence startup (HARMONY-5662)

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.

--
With best regards,
Alexei

Re: [classlib][archive] Non-UTF8 character in manifest during confluence startup (HARMONY-5662)

Posted by Alexei Zakharov <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.
Alexei,

--
With best regards,
Alexei

Re: [classlib][archive] Non-UTF8 character in manifest during confluence startup (HARMONY-5662)

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
Alexei Zakharov wrote:
> I'd like to note here that I don't remember any problems with
> manifests loading during confluence startup a couple of months ago
> (however, there were other problems). It looks like manifest parsing
> routines were significantly updated since then.

Yes, and I guess it means that we need to improve our unit tests in this
area if we were able to introduce a regression.

Thanks for your help in finding this problem quickly.  I'm sure we'll
soon get it worked out.

Regards,
Tim

Re: [classlib][archive] Non-UTF8 character in manifest during confluence startup (HARMONY-5662)

Posted by Alexei Zakharov <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.

--
With best regards,
Alexei

Re: [classlib][archive] Non-UTF8 character in manifest during confluence startup (HARMONY-5662)

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.