Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by taxali <ta...@yahoo.com> on 2003/11/04 06:57:21 UTC

[users@httpd] A HARD ONE: Restricting access.log to contain only passwd protected docs

Hi All,
I'm using Apache 1.3.19 on a Windows 2000 box to host an intranet site. I would like to restrict what is logged in access.log. Specifically, I only want to log those requests that attempt to access authenticated resources, ie password protected documents.

I've tried using multiple SetEnvIf commands but none seem to work:

SetEnvIf Remote_User "-" dontlog
or
SetEnvIf Remote_User "" dontlog
or
SetEnvIf Remote_User "^\w" dontlog

followed by ->

CustomLog logs/access.log common env=!dontlog

All these seem to print out every request!!
Any help will be much appreciated

Thanks.

Re: [users@httpd] A HARD ONE: Restricting access.log to contain only passwd protected docs

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, taxali wrote:

> Hi All, I'm using Apache 1.3.19 on a Windows 2000 box to host an
> intranet site. I would like to restrict what is logged in access.log.
> Specifically, I only want to log those requests that attempt to access
> authenticated resources, ie password protected documents.

I have some vague recolection of a problem with mod_setenvif and
remote_user in some version of apache.  1.3.19 is very old, especially for
the less-mature windows version.  I'd try upgrading first.

Joshua.