Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Jaroslav Tulach <jt...@netbeans.org> on 2016/09/21 14:10:45 UTC

Late is better than never was: NetBeans

Hi,
my name is Jaroslav Tulach and I am founder and original architect of
NetBeans. These days I work for OracleLabs on Graal/Truffle project.

I've been observing Geertjan's heroic effort from a distance (as I was busy
with my day-to-day tasks), but finally I found some time and decided to join
this mailing list. I love NetBeans and I'd like to contribute to a successful
transfer of the project to Apache's stewardship. Certainly I don't want  my
silence to be a reason for not accepting NetBeans - that's something I would
never forgive myself.

I have always seen NetBeans as a relatively open open source project with good
build infrastructure, and open development processes - I even gave talks as
part of NetBeans Certified Engineer Courses about that: http://
wiki.netbeans.org/File:Nbp-contribute_NetBeansCertifiedEngineerCourse.pdf

The one drawback I was aware of was related to producing releases - while the
code is public (in http://hg.netbeans.org/releases repository), the build
infrastructure isn't and I even don't know where to find it. Fixing this was
one important thing I expected from the Apache transition.

As far as I was told by Geertjan, the incubator review revealed way more
issues (plugins.netbeans.org, statistics.netbeans.org, etc.) and I feel a bit
embarrassed for not thinking about that sooner. Hopefully none of that is
critical enough to prevent the transition.

In any case, I am here and I am ready to help removing any roadblocks we may
find while working on Apache NetBeans.

Jaroslav Tulach
NetBeans Platform Architect
OracleLabs

Re: Late is better than never was: NetBeans

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Jaroslav,

It's great to "see" you here and hear that you're willing to support
NetBeans transition!

On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 4:10 PM, Jaroslav Tulach <jt...@netbeans.org> wrote:
> ...As far as I was told by Geertjan, the incubator review revealed way more
> issues (plugins.netbeans.org, statistics.netbeans.org, etc.) ...

The ASF infrastructure team has rightly requested a more thorough
analysis than usual on the infrastructure requirements for NetBeans,
as that's a much larger podling than usual, with a long history.

This analysis is ongoing, Daniel Gruno from the ASF infra team is
working on it and will report here when complete. It looks like we
don't need to reproduce all the NetBeans infrastructure, and we have
decided to consider plugins.netbeans.org for example as something to
be sorted out during incubation, with ideas expressed in the proposal
discussion thread here [1].

So I think while NetBeans infra requirements are somewhat larger than
usual, we'll find ways to accomodate them, especially given the
willingness of the NetBeans team to adapt to a new home as needed.

-Bertrand

[1] http://s.apache.org/netbeans_proposal