Posted to dev@cayenne.apache.org by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org> on 2012/06/12 13:17:17 UTC

[ann] Apache Cayenne 3.1 goes beta

Very happy to announce Cayenne 3.1 beta! The full announcement can be found here:

http://cayenne.apache.org/2012/06/12/cayenne-31-beta-released.html

Download is here of course:

http://cayenne.apache.org/download.html

A note on 3.1 documentation. The new PDF guides shipped with the download document all the new features, and some of the old ones. However they are still work in progress. I suggest still checking the PDFs, as they are the only source of information on the DI, configuration properties and the new way to start Cayenne runtime, but go back to 3.0 HTML docs whenever you find a gaping hole in the PDF:

http://cayenne.apache.org/doc30/overview.html

We should finish the docs by the time 3.1 is final.

Cheers,
Andrus

Re: [ann] Apache Cayenne 3.1 goes beta

Posted by Malcolm Edgar <ma...@gmail.com>.
Great news, thanks for all your efforts.

regards

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
I see. Modeler was never intended to be a standalone ER Modeling tool. My own vision was to keep it useful for Cayenne users. Never the less, most of the things that you mentioned are directly aligned with this goal, and we can improve Modeler for everyone if we pay attention to them. For many of the questions (Object / Db layers split, general terminology, etc.) the short answer is - it is done like that because Cayenne runtime expects it to be like that. There's a story behind each one of them, but I don't see any of that changing right now.

Improving the Modeler is another story. Like Ari said, we are open to help from volunteers to make the tool better. I am personally submerged too deeply in the framework internals to do more than isolated tweaks to the Modeler, usually limited to keeping it up with new runtime features. Also there have been lots of Modeler contributions from other committers and users (entity synchronization, new preferences, diagraming tool, etc, etc. was all done by different people). This was awesome, but having someone to take a more permanent ownership of the UI tools (we also have a prototype Eclipse plugin) and make them shine would be even more awesome.

And until then we'll be happy to discuss and take a la carte improvements :)

Andrus

Posted by "Robert Huber @ 7r" <hu...@seven-r.ch>.
Hi Andrus

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
Hi Robert,

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org>.
On 10/04/13 11:42pm, Robert Huber @ 7r wrote:
>> Another thought (you mentioned that you output PDF) is that you could easily create an XSLT to take the Cayenne Model and turn it into an html report. Happy to assist with that since I've worked on a lot of xslt now.
> As there seems to be no Print… menu, this would may be help to get an ER-Diagram to print. How do you do it?

The general principle is this:

1 create an xslt file
2 run a tool [1] and feed it the cayenne model and the xslt file as the two inputs
3 out comes the html
4 mix with a little css to make it pretty

Of course the real magic is in the xslt file itself. If you have a web designer available to you, work with them on creating an html file example which demonstrates what you want. Creating the xslt itself is usually quite simple and there are tools to help [2]. If you create the html example, I'd be happy to work with you on the xslt.

Remember, this can only display the information in the model file. So we aren't going to have a pretty graph with lines between the classes unless you fed it to a tool like graphviz. [3] I don't know much about that. The sort of html report I describe above is not that.

[1] http://saxon.sourceforge.net/
[2] http://www.oxygenxml.com/
[3] http://www.graphviz.org/

--
-------------------------->
Aristedes Maniatis

Re: [ann] Apache Cayenne 3.1 goes beta

Posted by "Robert Huber @ 7r" <hu...@seven-r.ch>.
Hi Ari

>> Yes I know it's a problem, finding someone who has the time and the ability to contribute.
>
> Sure. You will find we are very willing to help you along your development process to understand and build on Cayenne Modeler, if you want to fix the rough edges that you have found for your use cases.

Thanks very much for your helping hand!  I think I can now understand more or less how it is intended and found with trial how it works (more or less). Currently my highest priority wish would be that the model (graph) doesn't reset the alignment I have manually done – by moving the entities to place I like them to be.

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org>.
On 10/04/13 6:39pm, Robert Huber @ 7r wrote:

>> >Its role is to model the database for users of Cayenne. However, if you want to use it as a more general modeling tool, we would be happy to accept contributions which make it more useful in that regard. Additional meta-data such as notes, colours, etc have long been on our todo list but need someone to step forward with a specific need and the time to implement it.
> Yes I know it's a problem, finding someone who has the time and the ability to contribute.

Sure. You will find we are very willing to help you along your development process to understand and build on Cayenne Modeler, if you want to fix the rough edges that you have found for your use cases.

Another thought (you mentioned that you output PDF) is that you could easily create an XSLT to take the Cayenne Model and turn it into an html report. Happy to assist with that since I've worked on a lot of xslt now.

Ari

--
-------------------------->
Aristedes Maniatis

Re: [ann] Apache Cayenne 3.1 goes beta

Posted by "Robert Huber @ 7r" <hu...@seven-r.ch>.
Hi Ari

Thanks a lot for your answers, very helpful to get a deeper understanding about the ideas in Cayenne Modeler.

>> → The splitting between the tables and classes seems quite complicate to me, especially with the create ObjEntity and syncing between the two «models». May be there is a reason for this separation and syncing which I don't recognize?
>
> It does tend to make the model more flexible (especially when you have inheritance). But I agree that it first sight it is somewhat confusing. I personally like the EOModeler presentation in this regard.

Thanks for clarification, I thought it might be something like this. I can live with that, although it seems a bit complicated to use.

>> → The primary key attributes are not displayed in the ObjEntity. Why not? It is displayed in the
>
> By default Cayenne hides the primary key from the user. Typically this is what you want but you can easily expose it.

How?

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org>.
On 10/04/13 2:23am, Robert Huber @ 7r wrote:

> → The splitting between the tables and classes seems quite complicate to me, especially with the create ObjEntity and syncing between the two «models». May be there is a reason for this separation and syncing which I don't recognize?

It does tend to make the model more flexible (especially when you have inheritance). But I agree that it first sight it is somewhat confusing. I personally like the EOModeler presentation in this regard.

> → The primary key attributes are not displayed in the ObjEntity. Why not? It is displayed in the

By default Cayenne hides the primary key from the user. Typically this is what you want but you can easily expose it.

> As I would primarily use the Cayenne Modeler (as we work with Servoy, we will not use the Cayenne Framework), I am at the moment not comfortable to make the switch from EOModeler to Cayenne Modeler. I am very much aware that making such a tool is a lot of work and appreciate it in every way. So the above points are not meant as a critic but a way to find out if Cayenne Modeler could be a successor tool for us. I am also a bit unsure for what tasks exactly Cayenne Modeler is really meant?

Its role is to model the database for users of Cayenne. However, if you want to use it as a more general modeling tool, we would be happy to accept contributions which make it more useful in that regard. Additional meta-data such as notes, colours, etc have long been on our todo list but need someone to step forward with a specific need and the time to implement it.

Ari Maniatis

--
Aristedes Maniatis

Re: [ann] Apache Cayenne 3.1 goes beta