Posted to l10n@openoffice.apache.org by "McCormick, James" <Ja...@lionbridge.com> on 2015/01/28 16:22:44 UTC

Suggestion for your Page

Your page (http://www.openoffice.org/l10n/) refers people to the Wikipedia entry on "internationalization and localization". I am of course biased but that page is very dense and overly complicated. This page (http://www.lionbridge.com/solutions/software-localization/) gives a process oriented walk through of what you can expect from software localization. The behind the scenes methodology is explained takes a complicated subject and simplifies it for a learner. I hope you highly consider using this page as a resource.

Thanks
Jim

RE: Suggestion for your Page

Posted by "McCormick, James" <Ja...@lionbridge.com>.
Ok. Good response.

Am 01/28/2015 04:22 PM, schrieb McCormick, James:
> Your page (http://www.openoffice.org/l10n/) refers people to the Wikipedia entry on "internationalization and localization". I am of course biased but that page is very dense and overly complicated. This page (http://www.lionbridge.com/solutions/software-localization/) gives a process oriented walk through of what you can expect from software localization. The behind the scenes methodology is explained takes a complicated subject and simplifies it for a learner. I hope you highly consider using this page as a resource.

thanks for your suggestion. However, this would result in a link to a external and commercial website. We avoid in many cases to link to such kind of websites. We don't want to give our users the impression that we are somehow connected with that. Or it could be understood as a recommendation.

BTW:
If you think that the Wikipedia text is not describing the process in a good and understandable way, please help to improve it. Lionbridge seem to have the right knowledge. :-)

Marcus

Re: Suggestion for your Page

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Re: Suggestion for your Page

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@robweir.com>.
On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 5:47 PM, Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de> wrote:
> No problem to add another source that has a good - or maybe better -
> explaination about localization in software applications.
>
> But this link points to a commercial website which could lead to the
> impression that we are somehow connectrf with it. Or it could look like a
> recommendation. So, should we really add it?
>
> Someone else with this feeling? Or other comments?

If someone thinks the Wikipedia page needs improvement, I'd recommend
they help improve that page.

-Rob

Re: Suggestion for your Page

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <me...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
I do not believe it would be a good idea to add the link. The likelihood
that it would be misinterpreted is to great.

Keith

Re: Suggestion for your Page

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.