Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Yvan Hurtado <hu...@gmail.com> on 2011/04/04 20:56:34 UTC

How to access MyWebApp from another computer through the internet

Hello,

I have my web application working correctly with http://localhost:8080.
Yet, I cannot access it from another computer trough internet. I've change
'localhost' to the computer's ip where tomcat 5.5.33 is installed:
http://192.168.1.111:8080/myWebApp/

I'm new with tomcat so I dont know much. I've browse a lot of forums and
trough the built in documentation of tomcat and the clues lead me to think
it has something to do with Host, context, virtual host... I really don't
know
I haven't change anything, I just copied MyWebApp.war file to the webapps
directory of tomcat....

How do I make my WebApp accessible from another pc through the internet?

WinXp Pro Sp3
Tomcat 5.5.33

Thanks in advance.

--
Yvan Hurtado

Re: How to access MyWebApp from another computer through the internet

Posted by David kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.
On 4/4/2011 2:56 PM, Yvan Hurtado wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I have my web application working correctly with http://localhost:8080.
> Yet, I cannot access it from another computer trough internet. I've change
> 'localhost' to the computer's ip where tomcat 5.5.33 is installed:
> http://192.168.1.111:8080/myWebApp/
>
> I'm new with tomcat so I dont know much. I've browse a lot of forums and
> trough the built in documentation of tomcat and the clues lead me to think
> it has something to do with Host, context, virtual host... I really don't
> know
> I haven't change anything, I just copied MyWebApp.war file to the webapps
> directory of tomcat....
>

> How do I make my WebApp accessible from another pc through the internet?

Two things you'll need to do:  Make sure your ISP and router are
configured to allow requests to port 8080 to get through to the machine
tomcat is running on.  Then you need to add a Network Address
Translation or port forwarding entry to allow the internet to "see" your
machine.  192.168.*.* are not publicly routable addresses, and you will
not be able to connect from the internet using them.